"Live Alone and Like It" is the 19th episode of the ABC television series, Desperate Housewives. The episode was the 19th episode for the show's first season. The episode was written by Jenna Bans and was directed by Arlene Sanford. It originally aired on Sunday April 17, 2005.
Special Guest Star
Lynette surprisingly cares for Mrs. McCluskey after she collapses in front of her. Karen then thanks her for what she did and begins to start intruding on her life. Lynette agrees that she should have someone to take care of her even if it is the enemy. Susan's mother begins to set up double dates with Susan which she objects to. Bree and Rex bring Andrew home from deprogramming camp and Bree arranges a dinner with their church's pastor, Reverend Sikes. At the dinner, there is awkwardness when Bree blurts out that Rex is into S&M. The following day, Bree tells Andrew if he doesn't change he will go to hell. Andrew then goes to see Reverend Sikes who tells him to reflect and repent on his actions. Andrew then tells Reverend Sikes that when his mother least expects it he will do something terrible that it will "rock her world". Gabrielle's credit card becomes frozen and begins to see John once more who offers her his student card. When Gabrielle maxes out John's credit card, he claims it is stolen and must befriend a rich admirer to pay for her meal.
- (Rex & Bree had a fight at dinner while their guest, Reverend Sikes, was present)
Andrew Van de Kamp: (to Reverend Sikes) What a fun night. We should do this again sometime.
- (Gabrielle is telling John about how her marriage is falling apart)
Gabrielle: Usually in times like this I have a plan B. Now I have nothing.
John: What about me? Can't I be your Plan B?
Gabrielle: Dammit, John! What's our new rule?
John: (sadly) Stop pretending we have a future.
- Reverend Sikes: I know that being a teenager can be a very confusing time.
Andrew Van de Kamp: I'm not confused. I know exactly who I am.
- John: Well, what other option do we have besides returning the shoes and getting your money back?
Gabrielle: Return the shoes? I can't talk to you when you're being hysterical.
- Andrew Van de Kamp: I suppose I could have some of that.
Rex: No, I'm gonna need every drop.
- Mary Alice: Human beings are designed for many things, but loneliness isn't one of them.
- Bree: By the way the correct word is not gay, it's sodomy.
- Bree: (to Andrew) Your father is into S&M. He makes me beat him with a riding crop and I let him. It's no wonder you're perverted, look who your parents are!
The episode title Live Alone and Like It
comes from the movie, Dick Tracy
which was composed by Stephen Sondheim
- French: Une voisine qui vous veut du bien
- German: Einsame Herzen (Lonely Hearts)
- Hungarian: Élvezd a magányt! (Enjoy the loneliness)
- Italian: Il piacere della solitudine (The pleasure of loneliness)
The title of this episode come from the 1936 book by Marjorie Hillis, billed as "the classic guide for the single woman."