Abersychan is a settlement north of Pontypool in Torfaen, Wales, within the historic boundaries of Monmouthshire.
It lies in the narrow northern section of the Afon Llwyd valley. The town includes three schools, Abersychan Comprehensive School, Victoria Primary School and St. Francis' R.C. Primary School (although the latter is due to close, along with St. Alban's R.C. Primary School, to be replaced by the new Padre Pio R.C. Primary School in Pontypool) and various shops and other amenities.
Abersychan was the birthplace of the Rt. Hon. Paul Murphy, MP for Torfaen, Roy Jenkins, Baron Hillhead, and Bryn Meredith.
Abersychan was a thriving industrial centre in the 19th century and early 20th century, particularly for iron production.
Abersychan now constitutes a community and electoral division of the county borough of Torfaen. The area was anciently part of the parish of Trevethin, in Monmouthshire. On June 3, 1864 Abersychan was constituted a local government district, governed by a local board. In 1894 Abersychan became an urban district and civil parish. The urban district was abolished in 1935, with most of its area passing to Pontypool urban district, and a small area going to Abercarn UD.
In 1974 the area became part of the borough of Torfaen, in the new local government county of Gwent. A community of Abersychan was formed in 1985, but to date no community council has been formed. In 1996 Torfaen became a unitary authority.
The Abersychan community includes Abersychan, Cwmavon, Garndiffaith, Pentwyn, Talywain, Varteg, and Victoria Village.
is a small village
located in the district of Abersychan. It contains a post office
, a chapel, several houses and a small play park. The village has a cricket
team (Pentwyn CC) and is located right next to the old railway line. The cricket club celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 2006 with a successful tour to Cork
. The village has superb views over the River Severn
to the south.
is a small hamlet (place)
located in the district of Abersychan. It comprises a small village school and a number of houses. A small group of houses on Incline Road mark the beginning of the village and the village boundary is near Cwmavon
. Victoria Primary School is also in this area on a large grounds. Many homes are built around the school's boundaries.