Sheikh Nasser Mohammed Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah
(born 1940) is the Prime Minister
of the state of Kuwait
. He was appointed Prime Minister on February 7 2006
by the Amir
, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
. In 1964, Sheikh Nasser graduated from the University of Geneva
) with a BA degree in Political Science and Economics. Before becoming Prime Minister, Sheikh Nasser served in the past as an ambassador to Iran
, the minister of information, minister of social affairs and labour, minister of state for foreign affairs and minister of the royal court. Married with two sons, he is fluent in Arabic, English, French and Persian.
The Amir re-appointed Sheikh Nasser as prime minister on March 6 2007, after the previous government resigned on March 4 in a move observers believe was aimed at avoiding a no-confidence motion against Health Minister Sheikh Ahmed Al Abdullah Al Sabah. Ten MPs presented the motion in February over suspected financial and administrative breaches at the ministry. The vote was due to have taken place in parliament on March 5 and Sheikh Ahmad, a member of the ruling family, would have had to step down if legislators had voted against him. In December, Information Minister Muhammad Al Sanousi resigned a day before he was due to face questioning in parliament.
- 15 August 1964 - Third Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 2 October 1964 - Joined the Permanent Mission of Kuwait to the United Nations in New York.
- 1 June 1965 - Transferred from the Kuwait Permanent Mission in New York to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 5 December 1965 - Minister Plenipotentiary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 16 December 1965 - First Permanent Representative of the State of Kuwait to the European Office of the United Nations in Geneva.
- April 1966 - Inaugurated the First Premises of the Kuwait Permanent Mission in Geneva
- June 1966 - First Consul General of Kuwait to the Swiss Confederation in Geneva.
- 6 October 1968 - Ambassador Extra-Ordinary and Plenipotentiary to Iran.
- 1971 - Non-resident Ambassador to Afghanistan.
- 1975 - 1979 - The Dean of the Diplomatic Corps in Iran and Afghanistan.
- 22 May 1979 - Transferred to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 1979 - 1985 - Under Secretary of the Ministry of Information.
- 1985 - 1988 - Minister of Information, President of the National Council for Culture, Arts, and Letters.
- 1988 - 1990 - Minister of Social Affairs and Labour.
- June 1990 - April 1991 - Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.
- 1991 - 2006 - Minister of Al-Diwan Al-Amiri Affairs (Royal Court).
- since 7 February 2006 - Prime Minister of the State of Kuwait, forming the 22nd, 23nd, 24nd and 25nd Government.
- In 8 February 2006, by the order of the Amir, Al-Sabah bestowed the title as: “His Highness Sheikh Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah”