The Rock am Ring
(Rock at the Ring
) and Rock im Park
(Rock in the Park
) festivals are two simultaneous rock music
festivals held annually in Germany
While Rock am Ring
takes place at the Nürburgring
racetrack in the west of Germany, Rock im Park
takes place in and around the Frankenstadion
, in the south east of Germany.
Both festivals are usually regarded as one event with a mostly identical lineup for both festivals. All artists perform one day at Nürburgring and another day at Nürnberg during the three day event. There have been minor exceptions in the past years where an artist will be announced for one of the festivals only.
Together Rock im Park and Rock am Ring are the largest music festivals in Germany and one of the largest in the world with a combined attendance of just over 150,000 people in 2007, selling out both events in advance for the first time .
The 2008 festival took place on 6-8 June 2008. 91 acts have been officially confirmed. Both festivals were sold out on 1 May.
3 Doors Down (replacing Chris Cornell, who backed out to record an album ), 36 Crazyfists, Against Me!, Airbourne, Alpha Galates, Alter Bridge, Animal Alpha, Babyshambles, Bad Religion, Bedouin Soundclash, Black Dahlia Murder, Black Stone Cherry, Black Tide, Bloodlights, Booka Shade, Bullet For My Valentine, CSS, Cavalera Conspiracy, Chiodos, Coheed & Cambria, Culcha Candela, Danko Jones, Die Toten Hosen, Dimmu Borgir, Disco Ensemble, Disturbed, Eagles of Death Metal, EL*KE, Fair To Midland, Fettes Brot, Fiction Plane, Filter, Finger Eleven , From First To Last, Gavin DeGraw, Gavin Rossdale, High On Fire, HIM, Hot Chip, In Case Of Fire, In Flames, Incubus, Infadels, Jimmy Eat World, Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, Johnossi, Jonathan Davis, Justice, Kate Nash, Kid Rock, Kill Hannah, Lostprophets, Madsen, Manic Street Preachers, Masters of Reality, Metallica, Motörhead, Nightwish, Oomph!, Opeth, Paramore, Pete Murray, Queens Of The Stone Age, Rafael Weber, Rage Against the Machine, Rival Schools, Roisin Murphy, Rooney, Rose Tattoo, Saul Williams, Saxon, Seether, Serj Tankian, Silverstein, Simple Plan, Söhne Mannheims, Sonic Syndicate, Sportfreunde Stiller, Stereophonics, Steriogram, Takida, The Fall of Troy, The Fratellis, The Futureheads, The Hellacopters, The Offspring, The Prodigy, The Streets, The Verve, Tokyo Police Club, Turisas and ZOX.
Glory of Joann's MySpace profile lists them as performing at Rock am Ring, and ringrocker lists them as officially confirmed.
Rock am Ring was originally planned as a one-time festival celebrating the inauguration of a newer, shorter version of the track in 1985, but due to its commercial success (with 75,000 audience members), it was decided to make the concert an annual event. However, after a dip in attendance for the 1988 event, the festival was put on hiatus for two years.
In 1991, the festival returned with a new concept: as well as featuring well-known artists, event organizers present lesser known up-and-coming bands to the public. Some of the little-known artists who got their start at Rock am Ring and have gone on to achieve commercial success include INXS and Alanis Morissette.
In 1993, Rock im Park took place for the first time in Vienna. For the 1994 event, Rock im Park moved to the disused Munich-Riem airport, and the following year to Munich's Olympiastadion, where it found a home for the 1995 and 1996 event. Since 1997, Rock im Park is held at the Frankenstadion or the surrounding area in Nürnberg.
The 2007 festival was used in a science experiment to test the effects of large bodies of people simultaneously jumping. The experiment data was used to calculate the result if the entire Chinese population were to jump in unison. The experiment concluded no significant results would come from the theoretical event.
Past dates & headliners
- 25. – 26. May 1985
- with U2, Joe Cocker, Foreigner, Marius Müller-Westernhagen, Marillion, Chris de Burgh, Rick Springfield, Gianna Nannini, The Alarm, Lone Justice, Immaculate Fools, REO Speedwagon, Saga, Mink de Ville, Russ Ballard, Night Ranger, Huey Lewis and the News
- 14. – 15. May 1986
- 6. – 7. June 1987
- 6. – 7. June 1988
- 28. – 30. June 1991
- 5. – 7. June 1992
- 29. – 30. May 1993
- 21. – 23. May 1994
- 3. – 4. June 1995
- 24. – 26. May 1996
- with Rage Against the Machine,KISS, Bryan Adams, Herbert Grönemeyer, Die Toten Hosen, Sting, The Fugees, Alanis Morissette, Héroes del Silencio, Bush, Mike & the Mechanics, Sepultura, Rancid, Paradise Lost
- 16. – 18. May 1997
- 29. – 31. May 1998
- 21. – 23. May 1999
- 9. – 11. June 2000
- 1. – 3. June 2001
- 17. – 19. May 2002
- with Lenny Kravitz, Carlos Santana, Faithless, Neil Young, Jamiroquai, Wyclef Jean, P.O.D., Ozzy Osbourne, Alien Ant Farm, System of a Down, Natalie Merchant Bad Religion
- 6. – 8. June 2003
- with: Iron Maiden (Headliner), Metallica, Placebo (substituting for Linkin Park as a result of Chester Bennington being hospitalized with an abdominal parasite infection), Audioslave, Evanescence, Apocalyptica, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Queens of the Stone Age, Zwan, The Cardigans, Maná, Lifehouse, The Donnas, Murderdolls, Reamonn, Silverchair, The Hives, The Dandy Warhols, Die Happy, blackmail, Mia, Joachim Deutschland, Whyte Seeds, Stone Sour, Clawfinger, Emil Bulls, Dave Gahan, Stereophonics, Badly Drawn Boy, Turin Brakes, Tomte, The Ark, Saybia, Surrogat, Disturbed, Boysetsfire, Moby, Beginner, ASD (Afrob & Samy Deluxe), Patrice, Saian Supa Crew, Deichkind, Kool Savas, Creutzfeld & Jakob, Rolf Stahlhofen
- 4. – 6. June 2004
- with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse ,Nickelback, Evanescence, Die Toten Hosen, Faithless, Bad Religion, The International Ninja Demolition Squad, Avril Lavigne, Wir sind Helden, Linkin Park, Lostprophets, Motörhead, Sportfreunde Stiller, The Rasmus, Seeed, Korn, 3 Doors Down, Lagwagon, H-Blockx
- 3. - 5. June 2005
- with Iron Maiden (Headliner), R.E.M., Melody Club, HIM, Green Day, Incubus, The Hives, Slayer, Marilyn Manson, 3 Doors Down, Helmet, Billy Idol, Velvet Revolver, Feeder, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Slipknot, Mötley Crüe, Fettes Brot, Mando Diao, Subway To Sally, Apocalyptica, Wir sind Helden, Die Toten Hosen, Wednesday 13, Dir en grey, Kagerou, Maroon 5, Papa Roach, Within Temptation
- 2. - 4. June 2006
- with Kaizers Orchestra, Metallica, Guns N' Roses (Rock am Ring only), Angels & Airwaves, Trivium, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Cradle of Filth, Depeche Mode, The Darkness, Placebo, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, Korn, Deftones, Editors, Bela B., Nelly Furtado, Sportfreunde Stiller, Kaiser Chiefs, Tool, Jamiroquai, Dir en grey, Atreyu, In Flames, Opeth, The Bloodhound Gang, Kagerou, Danko Jones, Bullet for My Valentine, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, PointBlank, The Zutons, Strapping Young Lad
- 1. - 3. June 2007
- with headliners Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins, Die Ärzte and Slayer, Evanescence, Korn, The White Stripes, Velvet Revolver, Muse, Beatsteaks, Billy Talent, Mando Diao, Wir sind Helden, Dave Matthews Band (withdrew from the event), The Hives, Arctic Monkeys, My Chemical Romance, Kaiser Chiefs, Jan Delay & Disko No. 1, MIA., The Kooks, Wolfmother, Stone Sour, 30 Seconds to Mars, Amy Winehouse (withdrew from the event), As I Lay Dying, Bloodsimple, Breed 77, The Cat Empire, Chimaira, The Cribs, Fair to Midland, Disco Ensemble, Enter Shikari, The Fratellis, Funeral for a Friend, Ghosts, Gogol Bordello, Good Charlotte, The Higher, Hinder, Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Little Man Tate, Machine Head, Maxïmo Park, McQueen, Megadeth, Mr Hudson & The Library, Paolo Nutini, Papa Roach (canceled Rock im Park performance due to vocal problems), Razorlight, Scissor Sisters, Silverstein, The Sounds, Sugarplum Fairy, Tele, Type O Negative, Under the Influence of Giants, The Used, Zoot Woman, Aiden, Miasma, Charlotte Hatherley, DevilDriver, Down Below, DragonForce, Finley, Gallows, Groove Armada, Head Automatica, In This Moment, Kilian, Lez Zeppelin, The Long Blondes (Rock im Park only), Lost Alone, Mute Math, Ohrbooten, One Fine Day, Paramore, Pohlmann, Revolverheld, Saosin, Smoke Blow, Sunrise Avenue, Turbostaat, The Last Exit to Anywhere
- 6. - 8. June 2008
- with headliners Die Toten Hosen, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica. also The Prodigy, Incubus, Sportfreunde Stiller, The Verve, The Offspring, Motörhead, HIM, Queens of the Stone Age, Fettes Brot, Culcha Candela, The Fratellis, Serj Tankian, Bullet for My Valentine, Babyshambles, Nightwish, Lostprophets, In Flames, Kid Rock, Simple Plan, Madsen, Dimmu Borgir, Bad Religion, Justice, Disturbed, 36 Crazyfists, Rooney, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, Airbourne, Saxon, Pendulum