is a Germanic name that, broken into its parts means Ala
"everyone's" and ric
"ruler". This has various forms in the several Germanic languages, such as Alareiks
in the original Gothic and Alrekr
in Old Norse
. Most modern Germanic languages render it as Alarich
is the form used in modern English, an adaptation of the Latinization (Alaricus
) of the Gothic one -- there is also the alternative Latinization Alarichus
from Greek Ἀλάριχος
--. In Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish it is Alarico
There were two Visigothic kings with this name:
There was one legendary king of Sweden by the name Alrek.
- Alaric Morgan is the seventh Duke of Corwyn in the fictional universe of the Deryni novels of Katherine Kurtz.
- Alaric the Mad is a master dwarven rune smith in the Warhammer Fantasy realm.
- Alaric, Duke of Dunstable is a character in a number of P. G. Wodehouse's 'Blandings Castle' novels.
- Richard Alaric Zeeman is a Werewolf clan leader in the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter Hunter Novels by Laurell K. Hamilton.
- Alaric Vas is a supporting character and mother of protagonist Fabian Vas in the novel The Bird Artist by Howard Norman.
- Justicar Alaric is the leader of the detachment of Grey Knights in the book Grey Knight, by Ben Counter, in the fictional universe of Warhammer 40,000.
- Alaric Darconville is the title character of Alexander Theroux's novel Darconville's Cat.
- Alaric Deschain is Roland Deschain's grandfather of Stephen King's series The Dark Tower.