The China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) is the main contractor for the Chinese space program. It is state-owned and has a number of subordinate entities which design, develop and manufacture a range of spacecraft, launch vehicles, strategic and tactical missile systems, and ground equipment. It was officially established in July 1999 as part of a Chinese government reform drive, having previously been one part of the former China Aerospace Corporation. Various incarnations of the program date back to 1956.
Along with space and defence manufacture, CASC also produces a number of high-end civilian products such as machinery, chemicals, communications equipment, transportation equipment, computers, medical care products and environmental protection equipment. CASC provides commercial launch services to the international market and is one of the world's most advanced organizations in the development and deployment of high energy propellant technology, strap-on boosters, and launching multiple satellites atop a single rocket. The corporation has registered capital of 1.1 billion U.S. dollars and employs 110 000 people.
- China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT)
- China Academy of Space Technology (CAST)
- China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC)
- China Academy of Rocket Motor Technology (ARMT)
- China Aerospace Propellant Technology Academy (CAPA)
- Shanghai Academy of Space Flight Technology (SAST) and Shanghai Bureau of Astronautics (SHBOA)
- China Academy of Space Electronics Technology (CASET)
- China Academy of Aerospace Navigation Technology (CAANT)
- Sichuan Space Industry Corporation (SSIC)
- Long March Launch Vehicle Technology
- China Precision Machinery Import Export Corporation (CPMIEC) [The Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Monterey Institute states this company falls under the Xinshidai (New Era) Group, but corporate email addresses for executives with CPMIEC have the "@cgwic.com" email domain, so the company may actually be under the authority of China Great Wall Industry Corporation. CPMIEC specializes in cruise missile technology.]