"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" is a song by the Australian hard rock band AC/DC. The song was released onto AC/DC's 8th studio album For Those About to Rock We Salute You in 1981. The cannons fired in the song are mixed with exploding fireworks. The video to this song was filmed live in Landover, Maryland in 1981. The song would later be released on AC/DC's first soundtrack album, Who Made Who, released five years later for the Stephen King film Maximum Overdrive.
The single's b-side contains an edited live version of Let There Be Rock from the Landover, MD show in 1981. The maxi-single contains the extended version of the same song.
The title and central lyric of the song are based on an ancient salute used by Roman gladiators, "Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant" ("Hail, Caesar, those who are about to die salute you").
AC/DC have often used the song to close live concerts, such as Live at Donington, No Bull, and Stiff Upper Lip Live as well as on their live CD AC/DC Live.
The song was covered by Industrial metal band Godflesh and featured on the Gothic-Industrial tribute album to AC/DC, Covered in Black.
- During home matches of the Toronto lacrosse team Toronto Rock, when the team scores, the title line is often played to celebrate the goal.
- Prior to New England Patriots home games, the song is often played to pump the crowd up during warmups. It is also played when the Patriots score, and when Brian Johnson yells "Fire!" they fire the muskets.
- UFC Middleweight fighter Rich "Ace" Franklin enters the octagon to the song.
- When the Columbus Blue Jackets score a goal, the title line is played, accompanied by a live cannon in Nationwide Arena.
- Song is extensively played on ESPN College Gameday before games and before commercial breaks.
- This song was paraphrased by Jack Black's character "Dewey Finn" in School of Rock as "For those about to rock, I salute you!"
- A Modified Version of the opening riff of the song is featured on the Skateboarding movie Girl Yeah Right.
- The song is used in the movie Jerry Maguire when Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) is woken up by his alarm clock.