is a city in Adams Township
, Mower County
, United States
. The population was 800 at the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau
, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles
), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 800 people, 329 households, and 208 families residing in the city. The population density
was 791.6 people per square mile (305.8/km²). There were 351 housing units at an average density of 347.3/sq mi (134.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.25% White
, 0.12% Native American
, 0.38% Asian
, 0.25% from other races
of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 329 households out of which 24.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.5% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.9% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 19.3% from 25 to 44, 17.0% from 45 to 64, and 36.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,289, and the median income for a family was $38,125. Males had a median income of $31,083 versus $22,639 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,550. About 4.4% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.8% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
The village of Adams was platted on January 30, 1868 by Selah Chamberlain. A two-room public school
was built in 1869 and was later expanded to four rooms. The village was officially incorporated
on March 2, 1887. A water works
system was installed in the summer of 1897. A volunteer fire department
was established as Adams Hose Co. No. 1 in 1898. A sewage system
was installed in 1902. A Catholic school
was built in 1903 and roughly half of the public school students
started attending there, greatly relieving overcrowding. The sewage system was updated in 1958. The town is in the Southland school district, and home to the varsity fields for the teams.
- Mill on the Willow: A History of Mower County, Minnesota by various authors. Library of Congress No. 84-062356