Warder Park is located in Jeffersonville, Indiana on Court Avenue. This park has been a part of the community since the mid-1800s, when it had a bakery to produce hardtack to Union soldiers during the American Civil War. The park wasn't established officially until the year 1881 and is named after then Mayor Luther Warder. Warder had wanted the site for a new city hall, but the city council chose a site between Spring and Pearl on the north side of Market Street for the city hall, and named the park after Warder as a gesture of goodwill. A Carnegie Library was built in 1903.
The gazebo located in the middle of the parks field holds concerts during the summer. The local news paper The Evening News
usually posts the dates and times of the shows.
Thomas Jefferson statue and renovation
The statue was purchased by the Tom Galligan
mayor administration through private donors. The Tom Galligan administration also worked on the renovation of Warder Park in 2001 and 2002.
The Carnegie Library was one of the early Carnegie libraries funded in Indiana
by Andrew Carnegie
, to the tune of $15,000. The Neo-Classical architecture was done by Arthur Loomis
, a nationally respected architect in the firm of Clarke & Loomis Architecture, with the cornerstone being set on September 19, 1903. Loomis was a native of Jeffersonville. The building once held classes for Indiana University Southeast
. The Carnegie Library is the central focus point in Warder Park and now contains the Remnant
Trust of Rare Books and Documents.
The building will eventually hold an extensive titles including:
The Carnegie Library opened Oct 25, 2006 after a 4 million dollar renovation for the Remnant Trust and also included a bas-relief sculpture, titled “The Timeline of Liberty” was also unveiled. The sculpture includes 56 figures associated with promoting a philosophy of liberty and human dignity.
Old Jeffersonville Historic District