Zuni National Forest
was established by the U.S. Forest Service
and New Mexico
on March 2, 1909 with 670,981 acres from parts of the Zuni
and other tribal lands. On September 10, 1914 Zuni was transferred to Manzano National Forest
. The lands presently exist in Cibola National Forest
The Zuni Forest is presently part of the Mount Taylor Ranger District of Cibola National Forest, in the Zuni Mountains to the west of Grants in Cibola and McKinley Counties. The forest is bordered on the south by El Malpais National Monument.