The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa (also informally known as The Pretoria Zoo) is the national zoo of South Africa. It is situated in the city of Pretoria and was founded by J. W. B. Gunning.
The zoo was originally established at the outbreak of the Second Boer War
in 1899 and became the official National Zoological Gardens in 1916.
Half of the zoo is situated on relatively flat ground, while the other half is located on the slopes of a hill. The two areas are separated by the Apies River
flowing through the zoo. Two bridges provide access over the river.
Around of pathways are laid out in the zoo. Golf carts are available for rent for those that prefer not to walk; most, but not all of the exhibits are accessible by golf cart.
A cable car links the top of the hill with a point close to the entrance at the bottom.
There are two restaurants located within the zoo and a picnic area on the banks of the Apies River.
A crafts market is located outside zoo entrance.
The zoo includes an aquarium
section and a carnivore
section amongst others.
There is a crafts market outside.