was until December 31
an independent municipality in the Canton of Berne
. It is located on a hill in the proximity of the city of Berne
in the Bernese Mittelland
. On January 1
Zimmerwald united with the municipality of Englisberg
to form the new muicipality of Wald
Population: 870 (December 31 2002) coats of arms: To three firs on green three-mountain before silver background become green.
Zimmerwald was only settled in the late phase of the Germanic
colonisation of Switzerland
. Between 800 to 900 A.D. for the first time members of the Ciberni
settling in Southern Germany took the length mountain in possession. The first mention of the town in documents occurs only in the later Middle Ages . In the year 1999 Zimmerwald celebrated its 700th anniversary.
Zimmerwald enters the annals of world history due to the Zimmerwald Conference held in 1915 . In September, prominent socialists met from throughout Europe, among them Leon Trotsky and Vladimir Lenin. The conference was called by Robert Grimm of Berne. The international workers' movement split as a result of the conference into social democratic and a revolutionary wings.
Sites of interest
Wind instruments museum
The collection covers approximately 1000 wind instruments
from the beginnings to the present. In addition belong both wood and sheet metal wind instruments in addition, percussion instruments. Among them rare pieces such as bull horns
, old-Germanic Lure
and flap trumpet
. Naturally also Alphorn
belong to the collection.
Also, The Zimmerwald Observatory
is the reference point for the CH1903+ Swiss coordinate system