In the 12th century the settlement was a village called Kromołów (currently a district of Zawiercie). It expanded in the 19th century and received town privileges in 1915. While Zawiercie was occupied by Nazi Germany, it was known in German as Warthenau between 1941 and 1945. In 1847, the Warsaw-Vienna Railway was completed. The railroad connection facilitated the trade between Russia, Germany and Austria. The fact that Zawiercie was located less than one kilometre from the railroad triggered the rapid development of the region. Twenty-five years later, there were coal and iron ore mines in Zawiercie and an industry was developed around the mines in the town. The first industrial plant, a glass factory, started around 1870. Immediately other industries followed; a large cotton spinnery, large weaving mill, iron mining, cast iron, brick manufacturing, sawmill, chemical laboratories, steam and water flour mills, machining, etc. The flourishing economics accelerated the local population growth.
Polish State Railways (PKP) has a awarded a 10 million [euro] contract to Thales to equip the 224km Grodzisk Mazowiecki-Zawiercie line.(Poland)
Nov 01, 2009; * Polish State Railways (PKP) has a awarded a 10 million [euro] contract to Thales to equip the 224km Grodzisk...