According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.2 square miles (18.5 km²), of which, 7.0 square miles (18.2 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²) of it (1.54%) is water. The Fox River runs straight through Yorkville. It is located in both Bristol and Kendall Townships.
There were 2,220 households out of which 42.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.0% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.0% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 96.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $60,391, and the median income for a family was $67,521. Males had a median income of $49,120 versus $30,977 for females. The per capita income for the city was $24,514. About 0.4% of families and 1.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.9% of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
In 1836 that the village of Yorkville was settled by early pioneers who moved at a slower pace. Cars, buses and trucks have replaced horses, buggies, and carts along the city’s main thoroughfare—Bridge Street (Route 47). Originally Bridge Street was designed for horse-drawn carriages and pedestrians. As time passed, Hydraulic Street, which runs parallel to the river, boasted a trolley that ran from Ottawa to Aurora, connecting Yorkville to Chicago and around the nation.
Yorkville’s central business district at the time was focused on the south side of the Fox River and the public square north of the river, a layout unique to this region. The public gathering place was located near the river’s edge. The Kendall County Courthouse, adjacent to the downtown commercial district, served as the anchor and people generator of the day. Many of the city’s remaining historic single-family homes are found within walking distance of Bridge Street, the courthouse and Union Hall. It was resident Earl Adams who started it all. He built his cabin on Courthouse Hill on the south side of town in 1833. One year later, Lyman and Burr Bristol set up residency in neighboring Bristol, north of the river.
When the county of Kendall was formed in 1841, Yorkville was chosen as the county seat. After a 13-year period in which the Village of Oswego claimed that honor, voters chose to relocate the county government in 1859 to a more centralized location. Yorkville was chosen for that honor and the new courthouse was completed in 1864. Replaced in 1997 with a new courthouse on the north side of the city, the 1864 building, majestic in nature, still stands today and is used by the Kendall County Forest Preserve and other organizations. Yorkville was no exception to the railroad boom. Development began and businesses sprang up in 1870 along the tracks and included Squire Dingee’s pickle factory, the Yorkville Ice Cream Company and Rehbehn Brothers button factory. A few of those buildings are still remaining today.
The Village of Yorkville existed as two towns, one north of the river and the other south of the Fox River, with separate governments, for more than 100 years. In 1957 both towns had their own identity—Bristol to the north and the United City of Yorkville to the south. As a result, Ellsworth Windett became Yorkville’s first mayor. As a part of the separation the residents of both towns agreed to a uniform school district. It was in the same year that high school classes began in the downtown area at the northeast corner of Van Emmon and Bridge Streets. In 1888 a two-story brick school building on West Center Street was constructed. After the construction of Circle Center School in 1968, the two-story building was closed and the space was rented by the Yorkville School District to neighboring Waubonsee Community College. Due to rising enrollment in the early 1970s the school was reopened and renamed as Parkview School.