Yahoo! Sports was launched on December 8, 1997. Previously certain elements of Yahoo! Sports were named Yahoo! Scoreboard before the launch of Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports is fed a majority its information from STATS, Inc. Yahoo! Sports has various writers along with team pages in almost every sport. On January 17, 2003 Yahoo! Sports launched their first major redesign of the website. On May 30, 2006 they launched the Yahoo! Sports Beta website. On February 1, 2007 the beta website was taken offline. On January 30, 2007 they put the following on the homepage "What if your favorite sports site got even better? The all new Yahoo! Sports. Coming soon." On February 1, 2007 they launched the current homepage.
Yahoo! Sports covers many sports, including NFL
, College Football
, College Basketball
, World Soccer
, Arena Football
, Major League Soccer
, Motor Sports
, NCAA Baseball
, NCAA Hockey
, NCAA Women's Basketball
, World Cup
, Track & Field
, Cricket (UK)
, Figure Skating
, Rugby (UK)
, Mixed Martial Arts
, and Horse Racing
. Yahoo! Sports also previously covered the now defunct ABL
Yahoo! Sports also has many writers. The writers are as follows: Dan Wetzel
, Adrian Wojnarowski
, Jason Cole, Charles Robinson, Jeff Passan
, Josh Peter, Tim Brown, Kevin Iole, Bob Margolis, Jerry Bonkowski
, John Murphy, Michael Silver
, Matt Buser, Terry Bowden
, Kenny Smith
, Matt Romig, Martin Rogers, James C. Black, Brandon Funston, Greg Anthony
, Cris Carter
, Gordon Edes
and Gerry Ahern.
- December 8, 1997 - Yahoo! Sports is launched.
- January 17, 2003 - Yahoo! Sports launched their first major redesign of the website.
- February 8, 2006 - Yahoo! Sports launched the Yahoo! Sports Blog.
- May 8, 2006 - Yahoo! Sports starts streaming free live NHL games.
- May 30, 2006 - Yahoo! Sports launched the Yahoo! Sports Beta website.
- January 30, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports puts the following on the homepage "What if your favorite sports site got even better? The all new Yahoo! Sports. Coming soon."
- February 1, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports launched the current homepage.
- February 1, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports Beta website was taken offline.
- June 21, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports acquires Rivals.com.
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports is a section of Yahoo! Sports which was launched on December 8, 1997. Yahoo! Fantasy Sports was created with Yahoo's acquisition of Sportasy.com for an undisclosed amount in December 1998.
It has grown to include numerous sports. Yahoo! offers both free and pay fantasy sports. The types of games offered include traditional fantasy sports, pick 'em contests, and salary cap games.
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports has captured a substantial fraction of the fantasy sports market. In the week ending May 6, 2006, its fantasy baseball product accounted for 35% of visits to fantasy sports sites. The main fantasy sports url represented another 25% of category visits that week. The site had 3.1 million users in July 2006 of the more than 15 million adults that play fantasy sports in the United States.
- In 2006 it was revealed that "Fans spend more time on Yahoo! Sports than any other sports site" according to comScore Media Metrix.
- Before the 2006 NFL Draft, Yahoo! Sports revealed the allegations that Reggie Bush accepted gifts from an upstart sports marketing firm in exchange for his patronage. They have since issued several updates on the story.