The present building on the site dates from the 16th or early 17th century. It was originally a timber-framed building which has been rebuilt in brick. It is thought that it originally consisted of a hall range on the south side, with wings extending to the north on the east and west sides. The building was remodelled in the 18th century with the addition of a range immediately to the north of the hall range. It was substantially extended in or around 1855 with an extension added to the east wing. Further work was carried out in 1891; in 1905 the space between the wings was filled in with a billiard room; and in 1906 a small wing was added on the northwest side. During the 20th century there were further internal alterations, particularly in the 1990s when the building was converted into a restaurant. The hall is of particular historical importance because it was in this building that Francis Egerton, the 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, James Brindley and John Gilbert planned the Bridgewater Canal and supervised its building.
The building is in brick, most of which is rendered. The roofs are of stone and slate. Some of the 19th-century extensions are timber-framed.
The building is now a public house and restaurant in the Brewers Fayre chain.