The Worshipful Company of Tallow Chandlers
is one of the Livery Companies
of the City of London
. The organisation, which engaged in not only tallow candle
making but also in the trade of oils, received a Royal Charter
in 1462. The Tallow Chandlers, were traditionally separate from Wax Chandlers
; wax candles were customary in churches, while tallow (animal fat) candles were used in homes. As is the case with most other Livery Companies, the Tallow Chandlers are no longer a trade association of candle makers, its decline precipitated by the invention of light bulbs. Instead, it exists as a charitable institution, yet supporting education in oil-related fields.
The Tallow Chandlers' Company ranks twenty-first in the order of precedence of Livery Companies, immediately below the Wax Chandlers. The Company's motto is Ecce Agnus Dei Qui Tollit Peccata Mundi, Latin for Behold the Lamb of God, Who Takes Away the Sins of the World, a reference to Jesus.