The Women's Affairs advisory body dates back to the Women's Corps, founded in 1948 and dismantled in 2001. In 1949, it was decided to create the Chief Women's Corps Inspector (Colonel Shoshanna Werner) who would advise on the issues of Women soldiers’ service, and who was also be responsible for disciplinary issues and the training base for the Women's Corps. Later, the designation was changed into Chief Women's Corps Officer, and a headquarters command was created to be headed by her: the Chief Women's Officer Command.
On September 1, 2001, the then Chief Women's Corps Officer, Brigadier-General Suzy Yogev, initiated the founding of the Women's Affairs advisor position, the dismantling of the Chief Women's Officer Command, and transferring the authority of caring for individual women soldiers’ problems to respective commanders, and placing the authority for the women soldiers training base to GOC Army Headquarters.
As of 2006, the position is being held by Brigadier-General Yehudit Grisaro.