Wolverton railway station serves northern Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, especially Stony Stratford, Wolverton and New Bradwell.
The station is served by London Midland local services from Northampton to London on the West Coast Main Line. For inter-City services, change at Milton Keynes Central.
This station is one of the five stations serving Milton Keynes. The others are Milton Keynes Central, Bletchley, Fenny Stratford and Bow Brickhill.
The station has four platforms, but the platforms adjacent to the 'fast' lines are rarely used as the tracks are normally used by fast Virgin Trains services which do not stop at Wolverton.
The present station is a 'temporary' shed in the car park (at track level). Recently it has become clear that the station (and the town) needs a new building to handle its passengers, so a new structure has been proposed for the historic site on the road bridge. The building is planned to be built in the next few years, along with developments at Milton Keynes's other two mainline stations, Milton Keynes Central
The first, temporary, stop (September 1838) was on the embankment above Wolverton Park
. A larger permanent station and refreshment rooms were built at a location behind what is now Glyn Square by November 1838. In 1881 the main line was re-routed to the east to allow for expansion (see 'Wolverton bend
' below) and a new station built. The current station site has been in use since.
Until 1991, a "toy town" wooden ticket office stood on the railway bridge, facing out onto Newport Road and with steps leading down to the platform, was actually the third location for a station in Wolverton The wooden station stood here for over 100 years until British Rail demolished it, allegedly as Milton Keynes Borough Council were debating making it a listed building.
Wolverton bend and Northampton Loop
In recent years, Wolverton gained notoriety among railwaymen for its famously tight curve. The curve was a result of the station being moved eastward in 1881, to permit extension of the Wolverton railway works. The path of the original route is visible at both the north and south ends of the divergence. The Advanced Passenger Train
failed its trials here but, with another decade of development, the new Virgin Trains Pendolino
tilting trains passed theirs. Near the station, the track crosses the valley of the Great Ouse
on a viaduct. Slightly further north, the Northampton loop
leaves the main line at Hanslope
Newport Pagnell Branch Line (closed)
From 1865 to 1964, there was a branch line from Wolverton to Newport Pagnell
, primarily for staff at Wolverton Works. In 1964 the line was closed to passengers by the Beeching Axe
and freight ceased in 1967. Between 1817 and 1864, the section from Great Linford
to Newport was an arm of the Grand Junction Canal
which was then drained to become the track-bed. The route from Wolverton to Newport Pagnell is now a redway
. Along the redway, the platforms at New Bradwell
and Great Linford
are still in place, as are a signal post at Newport Pagnell and a Victorian iron bridge taking the line over the Grand Union Canal
The station provides London Midland
services to London Euston
. There are currently 2 trains per hour off-peak.
The original next station on the Northampton loop was at Castlethorpe, where the platforms are still visible The next station north, at Roade, is currently disused also There is a campaign to reopen it for commuter traffic to Milton Keynes and Northampton.