During the Northwest Rebellion of 1885, Peterson and the other settlers fled to Prince Albert to escape Gabriel Dumont's victorious rebels after the Battle of Duck Lake, alongside the retreating North West Mounted Police and Prince Albert Volunteers. They later returned to the community following the Battle of Batoche.
Wingard is the only remaining ferry on the North Saskatchewan between The Battlefords and Prince Albert. The first ferry was established by Nels Peterson in 1895, prior to that boats and scows had been used to cross the river.
Today Wingard consists of little more than a ferry, an Anglican Church, and cemetery.
|West: Marcelin||Wingard||East: MacDowall|
|South: Beardy's and Okemasis First Nations|