Windgap,(), is a village in County Kilkenny, in Ireland. Windgap is located in the South Western part of Kilkenny on the border with Tipperary just south of Callan, Kilkenny. It is part of the parish of Killamery. The village is located on the R689 regional road, the nearest main road being the N76 from Kilkenny to Clonmel.
Windgap was named for its location on a pass through hills east of Slievenamon. The landscape of Windgap is dominated by steep hills and large wooded areas. Windgap lies in a former slate-quarrying district spanning the Kilkenny Tipperary border. Today agriculture is Windgap's main economic activity, with dairy products as the main export.
Those who hail from the village are sometimes referred to as 'Gappers'.
The Mayor of Windgap
, is a 1834 novel by Michael Banim
set in Windgap in 1779.
club was founded in 1954 following the advent of the one Parish Rule in the County. Gaelic Games have been played in the area since the 1890's. In the early days it was a famous football stronghold. It had previously delved into hurling with the Slatequarries in 1929 and St. Joseph 's in Tullahought
in the 1940's. Handball first made its appearance in the Slatequarries in the early 1900’s before it quickly spread to Windgap. Camogie started in Lamogue in the 1920's and was played in many areas of the parish with teams representing Windgap and Tullahought at various stages. Ladies Football was played in the area for a time in the 1970's with a team in Tullahought. Windgap Camogie Club that was founded in 1994 and Windgap Handball Club in 1984. There was an amalgamtion of Galmoy
and Windgap in 2005 and they were Minor B League Champions in 2006.