This two-story Greek Revival residence was the home of William Lloyd Garrison (1805-1879), leader of the anti-slavery cause in Boston and fiery editor of the uncompromising abolition journal The Liberator. The house, called Rockledge, was built in the 1840s, during Roxbury's early period of suburban growth. After seeing emancipation achieved, Garrison and his wife retired to his mansion in 1864 and lived there until his death.
After Garrison's death, his house was owned for a time by the Rockledge Association, an organization of African Americans formed to preserve the building. In 1904, the house was acquired by the Episcopal Sisters of the Society of St. Margaret who own the property today. The house is a National Historic Landmark and is not open to the public.
On the square For 150 years, Louisburg Square has maintained an undeniable appeal. It is the city's most cherished address, representing a kind of status that is distinctly Bostonian.
Jul 02, 1995; THIS IS PART 2. Pointing to the enclosed park and the sign saying it was private property, Curley yelled, "The hell with that!...