Howard Gould (June 8, 1871-1959) was a financier and the son of Jay Gould.
Birth and marriage
He was the son of Jay Gould
(1836-1892) and Helen Day Miller (1838-1889). He married Katherine Clemmons (c1880-1930) on October 12
. She was an actress whose career had been heavily subsidized by William F. Cody. They divorced in 1909 and Howard charged her with infidelity, naming Cody. In 1937, he married the actress Grete Mosheim
, having previously been a financier/producer on at least one of her London stage appearances. They divorced in 1947.
Howard Gould purchased undeveloped land in Sands Point
to build a new home for his wife, Katherine Clemmons. After Howard and Katherine separated in 1909, he continued to build the estate, using Hunt & Hunt to design an English Tudor style mansion. The 40 room house, one of the most elaborate of the Gold Coast estates, is long and wide, with an tower. The first and second floors measure over 1 and 1/2 acres. Howard moved to Europe in 1917 and sold the estate to Daniel Guggenheim
and his family. The estate, which had cost Gould over $1 million, sold for only $600,000, including the furnishing. Gould also owned a yacht, Niagara.
Gould died on 13 September 1959
, aged 88, in Manhattan
, New York. He was buried in the Jay Gould Mausoleum, Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx
, New York.
- 1871 Birth of Howard Gould
- 1898 Marriage to Katherine Clemmons
- 1907 Start of divorce
- 1909 Divorce final
- 1917 Move to Europe
- 1930 Death of Katherine Clemmons
- 1937 Second marriage, to Grete Mosheim
- 1959 Death of Howard Gould
- New York Times; October 13, 1898; pg. 01; "Howard Gould marries"
- New York Times; May 13, 1907; pg. 06 "Mrs. Howard Gould sues for divorce"
- New York Times; May 24, 1907; pg. 01 "Peabody confesses in Gould case"
- Covington Sun; April 16, 1908, pg 01 ""
- New York Times; Jun 11, 1909; pg. 16 "Mrs. Howard Gould tells of marital woes"
- New York Times; Jun 12, 1909; pg. 03 "Mrs. Gould's jaunts with Dustin Farnum"
- New York Times; Dec 25, 1930; pg. 21 "Mrs. Howard Gould dies in Virginia"
- New York Times; May 19, 1937; pg. 20 "Howard Gould, son of financier, weds"
- New York Times; Jan 14, 1947; pg. 27 "Howard Gould Divorced"
- The Lives and Legends of Buffalo Bill, Don Russell, p. 433 Howard Gould's divorce.