Dr. William E. Gardner
served as president of Savannah State College
from 1989 until 1991.
Dr. Gardner was the ninth president of Savannah State College. His tenure as president saw unprecedented enrollment growth (13 percent) for the college and he successfully led the College to SACS
accreditation. Additionally, he developed a plan to reestablish a teacher certification program at the college.
He also established the $2.7 million Advanced Water Technology Institute and oversaw improvements to the physical plant and a $3 million addition to the student center.
During his tenure as president the college held the Centennial Celebration of Savannah State and the Adams Hall was restored and opened as the college’s archives facility. The Hill Hall Restoration Project was also established to provide $1.5 million external funding for the restoration of the historic campus building.
Dr. Gardner was also responsible for the replica of the U.S. Navy "Blue Angels" demonstration flying team jet flown by Donnie Cochran, being placed in front of the McGlockton NROTC Building.
Dr. William E. Gardner, Jr. died in office in 1991. He was succeeded by Dr. Annette K. Brock
The William E. Gardner Jr. Hall was named in honor and recogniztion of his published vision for Savannah State College and his immense popularity with the students.
- Hall, Clyde W (1991). One Hundred Years of Educating at Savannah State College, 1890-1990. East Peoria, Ill.: Versa Press.