The Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada opened publicly on June 10 2004. This $1 billion complex with a belle époque theme overlooks the Horseshoe Falls and is one of the most prominent features of the Niagara skyline. The site was once the transformer station building for the Ontario Power Company station at the foot of Horseshoe Falls.
Planning for the resort began by the Ontario Casino Corporation
as soon as the temporary facility Casino Niagara
was opened in 1996.
Construction began in 2001 and the resort opened in June, 2004.
Due to market demand and its prime location, the temporary facility was kept open and continues to operate as of 2008.
The east facade of the complex retains the walls of the terrace and front entrance of the transformer station built in 1904. The area where the transformers resided is now the Grand Hall Convention halls.
At the main entrance is a water feature called 'The Teslatron' with a transformer like fixture. A light, water and sound show brings the fountain alive for five minutes. At street level there is a fountain that varies its height with the wind so as not to wet pedestrians and passing cars.
When players need to cash out their money from the Ticket-In, Ticket-Out slot machines
, the player is given a bar-coded paper ticket.
Ownership and Management
The Casino is publicly owned by the Crown agency
, OLG, formally known as the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation
and managed by the Falls Management Company. A portion of the profits are returned to the Ontario government
Facts and Figures
- Entire complex area: 2,500,000 ft² (230,000 m²)
- Casino floor area: 200,000 ft² (19,000 m²)
- Gaming tables: 150
- Slot machines: 3000
- Concert Showroom (Avalon Ballroom) with 1500 seats: 1
- Minimum age for gambling: 19
- Hotel rooms/suites: 368
- Heath/fitness spa area: 15,000 ft² (1,400 m²)
- Restaurants: 10
- Wedding Chapel: 1
- Galleria Shopping Center
- Parking Spots in parking garage: 3,000
- Parking Rates: $10 ($30 on holiday weekends) or possibly free (depending on casino discretion based on an undisclosed minimum play) with a Players Advantage Card while you are visiting the resort.
The casino has a 35-floor 374-room hotel rising from above the casino complex.