It is situated at the southern border of the Bödeli watershed, where the Saxetenbach joins the Lütschine, 4 km south of Interlaken. The village is situated at the foot of the mountains Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. The highest point in the municipality is 2413 m.
The area was settled by Alamanni around the year 600. The name also comes from this period. In 1895, in excavations for the construction of a hotel, a graveyard of 15 graves, with 18 skeletons and burial objects, was discovered.
Wilderswil is first mentioned in the year 1224. The place was governed by the barons of Rotenfluh-Wilderswil, later also by the barons of Waediswil, Weissenburg and Scharnachtal. In about 1500 the city of Berne took over.
Because of its location it is the point of departure for many excursions to the heart of the Jungfrau region. The town has 16 hotels, motels and hotels with 900 guest beds, 300 vacation homes, and one camping site (open in the summer).