Whitelaw is a village in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 730 at the 2000 census.
Whitelaw is located at (44.142784, -87.827434).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.5 km²), all of it land.
Whitelaw is a small community of about 750 residents located along U.S. Route 10
in the middle of Manitowoc County
, in the eastern portion of Wisconsin. It is located four miles west of Interstate 43
, 85 miles north of Milwaukee
, 40 miles south of Green Bay
and 10 miles west of Manitowoc
. Whitelaw became an incorporated village in 1958. Its sewer and water system was put into operation in 1963 and is currently being upgraded. Highway 10 was widened and repaved in 1968, sidewalks along Highway 10 were installed in 1994 and a new village hall was built in 1998.
The village is served by a clerk/treasurer, one full-time and two part-time employees, plus seasonal help as needed. Within the village limits are a recycling center, bank, gas station/convenience store, two restaurants/bars, post office, barber shop/hair salon, two insurance offices, small engine repair service, two ATM’s, two auto service centers, a farm services coop, an instructional kayak center, and elder housing complex and a Catholic school and church. The village lies within the boundaries of the Valders Area School District.
Municipal government consists of an elected Village President and six elected Trustees.
As an active service organization, the Whitelaw Lions Club supports a number of community activities. The community is also home to the Whitelaw Sportsmen’s Club. Together, these two groups help maintain and furnish the Community Park, which includes two baseball diamonds, two tennis courts, playground equipment, a concessions/shelter area and a trap shooting range. The village also has a long-standing, well trained and equipped Volunteer Fire Department.
One account says that the village was named after Whitelaw Reed, an office for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Company whose tracks used to serve Whitelaw. Another claims it was named for a Mr. White, a lawyer who was supposed to have assisted in establishing the post office in 1892. The village was previously named Pine Grove but there was another post office with the same name near Green Bay causing confusion and miss-delivered mail. Thus, the switch in names came about in September 1907.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 730 people, 278 households, and 205 families residing in the village. The population density
was 1,312.0 people per square mile (503.3/km²). There were 284 housing units at an average density of 510.4/sq mi (195.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.32% White
, 0.27% African American
, 0.27% Native American
and 0.14% Asian
of any race were 0.55% of the population.
There were 278 households out of which 33.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.9% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $51,029, and the median income for a family was $53,036. Males had a median income of $36,971 versus $25,833 for females. The per capita income for the village was $20,249. About 3.5% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.4% of those under age 18 and 13.9% of those age 65 or over.