Eastville is the name of both a council ward in the city of Bristol in the United Kingdom and a suburb of the city that lies within that ward. The Eastville ward covers the areas of Eastville, Crofts End (also known as Clay Hill), Stapleton and part of Fishponds. Notable places within the ward include Whitefield Fishponds Community School and Colston's School, and the Bristol & Bath Railway Path also passes through the ward.
Eastville is an inner-suburb of the English city of Bristol, situated between Lower Easton and Whitehall/Fishponds in the central north of the city. In the west its boundary is the River Frome (or the M32 motorway, which follows a similar route).
Eastville Stadium (on the west bank of the Frome) used to be the home of Bristol Rovers Football Club, as well as being a site for greyhound racing and speedway, but this site has now been developed by IKEA.
Eastville Park is a large park with a small lake, just to the east of the M32. The lake at Eastville Park was instigated as part of a social scheme by Ernest Bevin (a well respected westcountryman) who later became Minister of Labour under Churchill in the coalition government of WW2 and later Foreign Secretary in the Atlee Government from 1945 until his death.
Eastville Workhouse was a former French Prison which was brought from the Government circa 1832, In 1930, the Stapleton workhouse became Stapleton Institution and by the Second World War the site was mainly used for the care of the mentally ill. It was bombed in 1940, the centre of the site is now May Park Primary School.
The church was built on a site bounded by market gardens, a brick works and Deep Pit Colliery. When The Beaufort Arms, then known as The Beatem and Wackem and now called The Wackum Inn was the place where most miners spent their hard earned wages! Hence the need for a children's work in that community.
Another local church was Clay Hill Chapel which was demolished when the industrial estates were built.
Currently the area is undergoing more change as the majority of 'prefabs' (built by American Service-men as post war housing) in the locality have been demolished. These had large gardens surrounding each property and so current planning applications will replace these with many more mixed style, more cost effective housing.
The old, redundant Civil Defence building on the junction of Crofts End Road and Brook Road was demolished and housing association flats were built on the site, now named "Craftes Court"