is a census-designated place (CDP)
located is in southwest part of the Town of Islip
, Suffolk County, New York
. The population was 28,907 at the 2000 census.
West Islip is located at (40.715008, -73.297746).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.6 square miles (17.2 km²), of which, 6.2 square miles (16.1 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.1 km²) of it (6.49%) is water.
Great South Bay, Jones Beach Island and Fire Island lie to the south. Babylon and North Babylon form the western Border. Bay Shore lies to the east, and in the north West Islip borders on Deer Park and Brentwood. West Islip is 46 miles east of Manhattan, New York City and 53 miles west of Southampton, NY.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 28,907 people, 8,883 households, and 7,594 families residing in the CDP. The population density
was 4,665.7 per square mile (1,800.2/km²). There were 9,044 housing units at an average density of 1,459.7/sq mi (563.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.89% White
, 2.40% African American
, 0.06% Native American
, 1.09% Asian
, 0.01% Pacific Islander
, 0.51% from other races
, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 3.52% of the population. This makeup has led to the use of the nickname, "White Islip," by residents of the town and its neighbors. There were 8,883 households out of which 43.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.4% were married couples
living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.5% were non-families. 11.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.21 and the average family size was 3.47.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 96.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $75,914, and the median income for a family was $79,546. Males had a median income of $55,371 versus $35,309 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $27,704. About 3.8% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.2% of those under age 18 and 4.5% of those age 65 or over.
- 1985 Suffolk County Champions - Football (Rutgers Cup Winners)
- 1993 Suffolk County Division II Champions - Football
- 1994 Division II Long Island Champions - Football (Rutgers Cup Winners)
- 2006 New York State Champions - Boys Lacrosse
- 2007 New York State Champions - Boys Lacrosse
- 1989 New York State Champions - Girls Soccer
- SBPLI Greening Long Island Award
- Nationals - Top 5 Globally, Autodesk Inventor Award
- Winner of 3rd Annual Deer Park Invitational
- Long Island Pumpkin Fling- 2nd Place
- SBPLI Long Island Regional - Underwriters Laboratories industrial Safety Award
- Nationals - 3rd Globally, Autodesk Inventor Award
- SBPLI Long Island Regional - Web Site Excellence Award
- Annual Long Island Pumpkin Fling- 1st Place
- Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield and Byers award for Business at the SBPLI Long Island Regional.
- Annual Long Island Pumpkin Fling- 2nd Place
- SBPLI Long Island Regional- Chairman's Award
- SBPLI Long Island Regional- Woodie Flowers Award
- SBPLI Long Island Regional- Second Place Alliance
- SBPLI Long Island Regional-Rookie All Star Award
- BattleCry3@WPI- Rookie All Star Award
Parks and Recreation
Notable Residents (past and present)
- Al Oerter - Prior to Mexico City Olympics in 1968, this Olympic discus thrower lived in West Islip, and would frequently work out at the High School field.
- Captain Kangaroo - At one point in the 1950s, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) was a member of the School Board.
- Mike Komisarek - Current NHL player for the Montreal Canadiens
- Bob Wenzel - CBS Sports Analyst, Graduate of West Islip High School, Captain of Suffolk County Championship Basketball team in 1967.
- Anthony Casamento - World War II US Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient.
- Rick Lazio- 1976 WIHS graduate, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 2nd congressional district, 1993–2001. Lost with 43% of the vote against Hillary Clinton for US Senate in 2000.
- Gary Sullivan, professional soccer player
- Thomas Joseph Downey - United States Congressman from 1975-1993, Class of 1966 W.I. High School.
- Edie Falco - Actress - Star on the HBO hit series "Sopranos". Grew up in West Islip in the 1970s.
- Kevin Cosgrove - A victim of the September 11th terrorist attacks whose 9-1-1 call was recorded.
- Pete Sell - UFC "Ultimate Fighting Championship" middleweight fighter was born in West Islip
- Boomer Esiason - Retired NFL Quarterback who played for the Bengals, Jets, and Cardinals was born in West Islip.
- Matthew Milligan - Professional bassist of Wheatus fame who currently lives in West Islip and graduated from the West Islip High School.
- A.J. Benza - a gossip columnist and television host.
- Richard Neil Thompson - former MLB pitcher who lives in West Islip with his family.
- Matt Anderson - Chicago wolves player who grew up in west islip.
- Nicky Cuba - Professional paintball player, who went to Udall Road Middle School, and graduated from West Islip High School in 1999.