and East Huntspill
are villages and parishes on the Huntspill Level
, near Highbridge
, West of England
. The civil parish
of West Huntspill contains the hamlet of Alstone
, and East Huntspill includes Cote
The first mention of Huntspill is around 796 AD, when the area was granted to Glastonbury Abbey by Aethelmund, a nobleman
under King Offa of Mercia.
Huntspill was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Honspil, meaning 'Huna's creek' possibly from the Old English personal name Huna and from the Celtic pwll. An alternative origin is from Hun's Pill in Old English, meaning a port on a tidal inlet, or pill, belonging to a Saxon lord, or hun.
The mouth of the River Brue had an extensive harbour in Roman and Saxon times, before silting up in the medieval period.
The village was flooded in the Bristol Channel floods of 1607
Moore, R. (2005) A Parish Survey of East Huntspill and Bason Bridge (available via Somerset Studies Library, Taunton, Somerset)
The People of the Parish (2001), The Book of West Huntspill: A millennium Celebration. Halsgrove: Tiverton, Devon, UK (ISBN: 1 84114 108 9)
- A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 8: The Poldens and the Levels: Huntspill (2004)
- The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey: Burnham and Highbridge by Clare Gathercole