Weingreen Museum of Biblical Antiquities

Weingreen Museum of Biblical Antiquities

The Weingreen Museum of Biblical Antiquities is located in the Arts and Social Sciences Building, in Trinity College, Dublin. It received its present title in 1977 in recognition of Professor Jacob Weingreen's contribution to the creation of the museum. Professor Weingreen was Erasmus Smith's Professor of Hebrew at Trinity College Dublin between 1939 and 1979.

The museum consists mainly of pottery and other artefacts from the Ancient Near East. The nucleus of the museum's collection is constituted by artefacts from the excavations of four Biblical cities in Palestine: Lachish (Director: J.L. Starkey, 1932-1938), Jericho (Kathleen Kenyon 1952-1959), Jerusalem (Kathleen Kenyon, 1961-1967) and Buseirah (Crystal Bennett, 1971-1975).

Search another word or see Weingreen Museum of Biblical Antiquitieson Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;