is a private, coeducational college preparatory boarding high school located in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
. The student population at the beginning of the 2006-2007 school year was 222. Wayland's emphasis on cultivating well-rounded individual personalities as well as academic prowess is reflected in its motto, "Knowledge and Character."
The cornerstone of Wayland Hall was laid in 1855, marking the beginning of a new institution aimed at increasing the number of Midwestern
students at Baptist seminaries
. It was founded as a Baptist
university, though it is now a non-denominational
Wayland had to be closed down twice, once during to the Civil War, and once during the Great Depression. During the 1950s, it became known as Wayland Junior College. After including a middle school in the 1970s, Wayland became the college preparatory high school that it is today. It celebrated its sesquicentennial anniversary in 2005.
Wayland's 55 acre campus is located near the downtown of Beaver Dam. The campus consists of north and south halves divided by WIS 33
. North Campus, the school's original land, is home to most of the campus buildings. North campus closely resembles a typical college campus
layout; separate buildings exist for different academic faculties, dormitory space, administration, and student life functions. South Campus, a former fairgrounds, now consists of numerous athletic fields and the school's Field House.
The Academic Building and Swan Library have been the newest buildings on campus since their completion in 1989. The Academic building houses the departments of Mathematics, English, History, and Modern and Classical Languages. Swan Library contains a student computer lab in addition to the 21,000 volume collection including roughly 60 periodicals.
In recent years Kimberly Chapel has served primarily as home to the music department and as meeting place for the student body. Built in 1958, the Chapel is used for weekly assemblies and chapel services as well as the annual Festival of Lessons and Carols, modeled after the original service at King's College in Cambridge, England. The Chapel contains practice rooms and Music Department studios on the lower level, while the chapel proper often functions as a music performance space with a Steinway Model B piano and a three-manual Moeller pipe organ.
Discovery Hall was dedicated in 1971 and is home to the Science Department. In addition to laboratories and classrooms, it contains a lecture hall and an observatory.
Residence Halls and Student Life Facilities
The oldest building on campus is Wayland Hall, which is also the school's most recognizable structure due to its four large Corinthian pillars
. Originally constructed in 1855, it was for a time the sole building serving the school and housed classrooms, bedrooms, a chapel, and a kitchen. Since that time it has been remodeled on multiple occasions, and it now serves as a dormitory for first-year and sophomore boys. Additionally, plans are in place as of winter 2008 to completely renovate the building in 2009 at a cost of roughly $3.6 million, creating a modernized dorm with more comfortable living spaces for its residents.
Wayland Hall is the first building along the campus's semicircular drive; the second is the Lindsay Gymnasium complex. The original gymnasium dates from 1899 and has since been converted to a student union, dance hall, and art studio. The Sol Wolfe 1934 Memorial Pool and a newer gymnasium housing the school's theater are adjacent to the original gym building.
Warren Cottage was originally constructed as a girls residence hall in 1888 and has since received several additions and renovations. It is still a dormitory for first-year and sophomore girls, and its lower level contains Pickard Dining Hall, a day students' lounge, and the bookstore and post office.
The twin dormitories Glen Dye and Ella Dye both opened in the 1960s and house junior and senior students; boys live in Ella Dye and girls live in Glen Dye. Student rooms are arranged in a suite-like fashion, wherein two rooms are connected by a private bathroom. Both dorms recently underwent extensive interior remodeling and furniture replacement.
Completed in 1901, Roundy Hall was originally a music building and chapel built partially from funds donated by the Roundy family of Roundy's Foods. It is now home to administrative offices, including the President's office , Office of Admissions, the CFO, and the VP of Development.
Other buildings on North Campus include the President's House and Schoen House, the student health center.
The primary building on the 26 acre South Campus is the Field House, built in 1967. Adjacent to the Field House are the school's eleven tennis courts and numerous athletic fields. An additional field, Brown Field, is located on North Campus and is used for football and field hockey competitions.
Wayland's academic program focuses on preparing its student for enrollment in undergraduate colleges and universities upon graduation. The class schedule is comprised of eight 45 minute periods whose order rotates daily. Classes are offered on three levels: College Preparatory, Honors, and Advanced Placement (AP)
. Graduation requirements include four years of English, and three years each of Mathematics, Social Science/History, Natural Sciences, and Languages. Languages offered include Spanish
, advanced study in Latin
, and ESL
. Additionally, all students must have at least one year of Latin instruction to graduate. Students must also complete the equivalent of one year's study of Fine Arts through music or studio art courses or lessons. The school offers 13 classes at the Advanced Placement level in various departments, and approximately 80% of its faculty have attained advanced degrees in their fields.
Roughly 15% of Wayland's student body are Caucasian
students and roughly 20% of Wayland students are international students.
Wayland's dress code includes dress clothes during the school-day and on other specific formal occasions. Wayland provides its boarding students with 19 meals weekly, and traditionally holds formal or family style meals every few weeks. Students eat at least one meal a week with their faculty mentor, a faculty member who serves as an academic and all-purpose adviser to help students with concerns ranging from homework to social issues.
Although much of student life is occupied with academic-related activities, the school also supports many extracurricular activities in addition to sports. Organizations include Model United Nations, concert band, pep band, strings chamber ensemble, Thespian Society, student newspaper, student literary magazine, and student government. In addition to the required weekly chapel service, an optional weekly prayer service and a breakfast bible study exist for students with a stronger spiritual life.
- The Victory Bell is a large bell located near the middle of campus. It is rung following athletic victories, the last class period for seniors before graduation, and any other significant cause for celebration.
- The Axe Hunt is an annual event held in late spring, where students from the graduating class hide a wooden axe somewhere on the Wayland campus. The junior students follow clues hidden throughout the city of Beaver Dam to find the axe before a set time. If the juniors find the axe, they receive a week of relaxed dress code. If they don't find the axe, the sophomores receive the relaxed dress code.
In lieu of physical education
courses, all Wayland students participate in extracurricular athletic activities in each season of the year. In addition to offering an alternative activities program, the following team sports are offered:
- Laurence Smead, CEO of Sasco Electric Company
- Harold Sogard, Vice Chairman of Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Advertising
- Mark Van Haren, cofounder of Excite
- Ray Patterson, former General Manager of the Houston Rockets
- Steven Smith, CEO of Spenco Medical Corporation
- Lynn Wagenecht, NYC restaurateur (Odeon, Luxemburg, etc.)
- Susan Peterson, CEO of The Communications Center
- Richard Kimberly - Kimberly-Clark
Sciences, media and the arts