is an eastern suburb
, in the state of New South Wales
. Waverley is located 7 kilometres
east of the Sydney central business district
, in the local government area
of Waverley Council
Waverley Council takes its name from the suburb but its administrative centre is located in the adjacent suburb of Bondi Junction, which is also a major commercial centre. Waverley is the highest point of altitude in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs.
Waverley is mostly residential with a scattering of commercial developments, centred on the road junction known as Charing Cross
Waverley takes its name from a home built on Old South Head Road in 1827, by Barnett Levey (or Levy) (1798-1837). It was named Waverley
, after the title of his favourite book, by author Sir Walter Scott
. Waverley Municipality was proclaimed in June 1859. The house was a distinctive landmark and gave its name to the surrounding suburb.
Other landmarks include Edina, a late Victorian mansion built on a grand scale in Birrell Street. It was built by Ebenezer Vickery for himself and his family, and completed in about 1884. Vickery was a leading merchant and a most prominent patron of the Methodist Church. Other buildings in the group include Banksia, Witchagil and the Nellie Vickery Memorial Chapel. Banksia and Witchagil are two-storey villas that Vickery built for his sons.
This distinguished group of Victorian buildings is now used as the War Memorial Hospital. Edina, Banksia and Witchagil are on the Register of the National Estate.
Victoria Street is the site of more local landmarks in the form of the Mary Immaculate Church and, on the opposite side, the Jubilee International Church. The former is an example of the Federation Academic Classical style and was designed by John Hennessy in 1912. Its twin-towered design is said to be reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance.
The Jubilee International Church was originally the Grahame Memorial Presbyterian Church, Waverley. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. William Grahame on May 8th, 1897. Another landmark in this street was the Catholic Friary, which was demolished in 1985 after sustaining extensive fire damage (see gallery below).
(South Head General Cemetery) was established in 1877 is one of Australia's best known cemetries due to its picturesque location along the coastline cliffs. It also features the graves of several notable Australians including poet Henry Kendall
and aviator Lawrence Hargrave
St Marys Anglican Church is located in Birrell Street. Mary Immaculate Church and St Charles Borromeo is a Catholic Church in Victoria Street. Waverley Jubilee International Church is located opposite and Grahame Memorial Uniting Church are also located in Victoria Street.
Waverley is home to a number of schools. Waverley College
is a Christian Brothers
school for boys made up of Our Lady's Mount Campus in Birrell Street, (Senior School Years 7-12), Waterford Campus in Henrietta Street (Junior School Years 5-6) and Waterford Pre School.
St Catherine's School
is an Anglican, Day and Boarding school
for girls, located in Albion Street . St Clare's College
is a Catholic, high school for girls in Carrington Road.
Sport and Recreation
The following clubs are located in or represent the Waverley area:
- Waverley Rugby Club - Rugby Union
- Eastern Suburbs Cricket Club
- Bondi United - Rugby League
- Waverley Bowling Club
- St Charles Waverley - Rugby League
- Sydney Roosters Rugby League Club (based at the Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club, in Bondi Junction).
- The Heritage of Australia: Macmillan Company of Australia (1981) ISBN 0 333 33750 6
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- 2001 Census Information
- http://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/cemetery Official Waverley Cemetery Website