In 1760, Massachusetts governor Thomas Pownall led the construction of a fort here, which he named Fort Pownall after himself. It was intended to secure the area for European settlement by driving off the remaining Noridgwoak and Penobscot Indians. No battles took place at the fort. In 1775, British forces seized the cannons and powder. Later, a regiment of continental soldiers burnt the blockhouse and filled in most of the ditches to prevent use by the British.
On the eastern end of Cape Jellison and the west side of the mouth of the Penobscot River is the Fort Point lighthouse. This station was established in 1836 and automated in 1988.