| Warren G. Harding High School
||Warren City Schools
||Gold and black
|| Ruth Zitnik
|| 860 Elm Road NE Warren, Ohio, 44483, USA
|| The Raiders
Warren G. Harding High School is a public high school located in Warren, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Warren City Schools district. Their mascot is the Raider.
Sports programs include football, baseball, softball, basketball (men's and women's), soccer (men's and women's), bowling, swimming and diving, volleyball, golf, tennis, track and field, and cheerleading, with talks of forming a lacrosse team.
- Baseball - 1933
- Football – 1974,1990
- Warren Western Reserve High School won the state football title in 1972. It merged into Warren G. Harding in 1990.
Warren High Schools' Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame was launched in 1993. 145 distinguished alumni include: Harriet Taylor Upton
(leader for women’s suffrage
), Earl Derr Biggers
(creator of Charlie Chan
), Bill White
(former St. Louis Cardinals all-star outfielder and National League baseball commissioner), Roger Ailes
(president and CEO of Fox News Network
), John Ness Beck (internationally known writer of religious music), Irene Oliver (internationally known opera star), Michael Capellas
(current CEO of WorldCom), Ronald Parise
(former astronaut), Kenneth Patchen
(internationally acclaimed poet), Alex Machaskee (retired editor and publisher of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Paul Warfield
(Hall of Fame NFL
player with the Cleveland Browns
and Miami Dolphins
Other well-known alumni include:
Non sport related programs
WSCN- The school's broadcasting class, each day the class put together a show of the days announcements.
Computer Graphics- The school's Computer Graphics program offers students the chance to design computer graphics.
Band- The Warren G. Harding "Raider" marching band is the schools band. They participated in the 2004 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade,The band was also invited to play in the 65th Pearl Harbor anniversary in Hawaii.
FIRST Robotics- The Warren G. Harding Delphi E.L.I.T.E. (Encouraging Learning In Technology and Engineering), Team number 48, is a member of the world wide FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition. Each year FIRST creates a new game/challenge, and every team has six weeks to design and manufacture a robot to complete the given task. To learn more about the Delphi E.L.I.T.E. robotics team and FIRST visit the team's website www.delphielite.com.
Drama Club- Harding's drama club is composed of many students and teachers. All come together to form productions Ranging "The Wizard of Oz" and "Grease".
- Merged with long time football rival Warren Western Reserve High School in 1990.
- Prior to the merger, the school mascot was the Panther and the school colors were Red and Black. The school took on the colors and mascot of the old Western Reserve High as part of the merger.
- In the fall of 2003 voters passed a tax raise to build a new school building. 2007-2008 will be the last year for the original school building.
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) offers high quality programmes of international education to a worldwide community of schools. There are more than 644,000 IB students at 2,378 schools in 128 countries. IB is offered to all students who wish to challenge themselves. Harding is one of only seventeen schools in Ohio to offer this program and the 4th program to be offered in the state.
- The Warren G Harding High School was demolished in July 2008 save for the center due to it being a landmark, making way for the new Warren G Harding High School at the opening of the 08-09 school year.
- The new building is to be wired for full HD for the WSCN program.
Notes and references