Markstay-Warren is a town in the Canadian province of Ontario, located in the Sudbury District. Highway 17, from the city limits of Greater Sudbury to the Sudbury District's border with Nipissing District, lies entirely within Markstay-Warren. The town had a population of 2,475 in the Canada 2006 Census.
The town was created on January 1, 1999 by amalgamating the political townships of Ratter and Dunnet and Hagar, the geographic township of Awrey, and parts of the geographic townships of Hawley, Henry, Loughrin and Street. Along with the municipalities of St. Charles and French River, it is part of the region known as Sudbury East.
The town includes the communities of Appleby Corner, Callum, Dunnet's Corner, Hagar, Markstay, Rivière-Veuve, Stinson and Warren. Markstay is the location of the town's municipal offices.
Stinson, Callum, Hagar and Warren are all located directly on Highway 17, a branch of the Trans-Canada Highway. Appleby Corner is located south of Hagar on Highway 535. The other communities are all located along local roads that branch off from one of these two highways.
Shortly after the completion of the transcontinental line of the CPR in 1885, a station and community was established at Veuve City, taking its name from the Veuve River that flows through this area. In 1890, the Warren family of Toronto established a sawmill, slightly east of Veuve City, operating under the name Imperial Lumber Company. A standard gauge logging railroad was also constructed to bring logs to the mill.
In the first part of the 20th century, lumber and agriculture were the main economic activities in the area. By the 1960s, Warren's population and economy grew steadily and because of its proximity (60 km) to Sudbury, many area residents were employed in the mines of the Sudbury area. By the 1970s, important local employers included Ontario Hydro and the Ontario Provincial Police.
The economic recession of the early 1990s hit the Warren area significantly hard as corporate restructuring and downsizing at Ontario Hydro and the OPP resulted in the closure of the Ontario Hydro office and reductions in staff at the OPP. As a consequence, Warren's population suffered and several residents moved to larger centres such as Sudbury or North Bay.