is a suburb
on the Upper North Shore
in the state of New South Wales
. Warrawee is located 21 kilometres
north-west of the Sydney Central Business District
in the local government area
of Ku-ring-gai Council
. Warrawee is predominantly a residential area with few commercial entities.
Warrawee is believed to have come from an Aboriginal
word meaning rest a while
, stop here
or to stand
In 1888, the public servant and patron of exploration Frederick Ecclestone du Faur built his house Pibrac in Pibrac Avenue. The house was designed by John Horbury Hunt, a Canadian architect who settled in Australia and favoured the Arts and Crafts style, modified with the North American taste for shingles. Later alterations were carried out by B.J.Waterhouse. The house is composed predominantly of timber, with extensive use of timber shingles, on a sandstone base. It is considered a good example of Hunt's work and is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
The Pacific Highway
is the main arterial road. Warrawee railway station
is on the North Shore Line
of the City Rail
network. The railway station built in 1900 was last one built on the North Shore Line before it was extended to North Sydney
. Local residents had to fight the railway commissioners for a train station, that is only one kilometre from Wahroonga.
The Knox Grammar School
(Senior School) campus is situated to the south of the train line, just under a minute's walk from the station. Warrawee Public School is situated about 0.5 kilometres to the south of the station, on the Pacific Highway