In September 1964 the MBTA began subsidizing the M&B, and route numbers were given to its buses. (According to "A Chronicle of the Boston Transit System" (April 16, 1981) the subsidy agreement was signed on December 23, 1964.) The M&B was taken over by the MBTA on July 5, 1972, after a financial dispute over subsidies stopped service June 30. The taken over routes were renumbered by adding a 5 to the beginning and were renumbered in September 1982 and some in 1996.
There is one streetcar and bus preserved from this railway, trolley # 41 a former Lexington car and bus # 192 a 1948 ACF Brill bus. They are both located at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME.
Norumbega Park, opened on June 17, 1897, was an amusement park built by the street railway company to increase traffic on the line. The park closed in 1964, long after the streetcar line, and M&B's last one, was bustituted in 1930.
In its final days, this was the 35 Auburndale-Lake Street bus route, until taken over by the MBTA, when it became the 535 Auburndale-Boston College via Commonwealth Avenue. It was not actually picked up by the MBTA in July 1972, when they took over the M&B, but was restarted as a rush-hour only service in January 1973, and discontinued in June 1976.
See also: Green Line "B" branch
Fare limits were at the town lines of Bedford with Lexington, Concord, and Billerica.
The line from Lexington ran down Bedford Street and Great Road, diverting along Loomis Street and South Road to connect with the Boston and Maine Railroad station. A passing track was located on the north side of Bedford Common.
As at Norumbega, an amusement park was built in Lexington near the Bedford town line, to attract riders from the city.
The Bedford-Arlington Heights bus, today's 62 (and 62/76) was M&B route 29 and MBTA route 529.
The car-barn and electricity generator was located in North Lexington north of Bedford Street and just west of the corner of what is now Worthen Road. The complex was composed of at least a long wooden building (the carbarn) and a squat brick structure with a short smokestack (the generating plant); that complex was a lumberyard for many years and was redeveloped in the late 1980s.
A brief history of car lines in Bedford may be found in "Wilderness Town," a book printed for the 1976 Bicentennial (copies at the Bedford Free Public Library).
A photograph dated 1910 of a trolley car passing the Lexington Minuteman statue is on page 104 of a photohistory in the Lexington Room of the Lexington Public Library. The photo is credited to the Lexington Historical Society.
The Lexington-Woburn line ran from Massachusetts Avenue in Lexington via Woburn Street and Lexington Street to the Woburn B & M station.
In 1889 the Newton Street Railway bought the line, and the Newton Street Railway was merged with the M&B July 1, 1909. It later (by 1964) became much of the 20 Newton Corner-Riverside via Roberts and Central Square Waltham bus line, with the 27 Newton Corner-Riverside via Auburndale and Central Square Waltham using much of Crescent Street (the 20 went straight through on Moody Street). This is now the 553 Roberts-Downtown Boston via Newton Corner and Central Square Waltham, with Crescent Street served by the 558 Riverside-Downtown Boston via Auburndale, Central Square Waltham and Newton Corner.