is a hamlet located along Highway 24
, just South of the Highway 1
in south-central Alberta
, east of the city of Calgary
, within the boundaries of Wheatland County
Population: 102 (2008)
The Canadian Pacific Railway named the little town, "Cheadle" for Walter Cheadle of Milton and Cheadle explorers who traveled across the prairies and Rocky Mountains in the 1860s. Dr. Cheadle and Lord Milton were co-authors of the book "The North-West Passage by Land" (London, 1865), which described their expedition in considerable detail.
A record was made when laying the railroad tracks between Strathmore and Cheadle when the railway was built. "In one hour a mile of steel was laid. And, at the end of the ten-hour working day, the rails were laid to Cheadle, nine miles and 300 feet for a record. The ties had been strung the night before.
There was just one minor building in Cheadle when the early ranchers and homesteaders began to arrive in the late 1890's. It was a post office, store, and boarding home, run by Mrs. Florence Belwer for the C.P.R. section-men. Cheadle began to grow in the years 1906-1916 to a hardware store, barbershop, blacksmith, restaurant, pool hall, dance hall, three grocery stores, water tank, C.P.R. station and section houses, stockyards, lumberyard, two grain elevators, and several residences. The C.P.R. had once planned to locate Ogden Shops in Cheadle.
The arrival of the automobile and another C.P.R. line from Gleichen to Calgary, through Carseland and Dalemead, along with the building of the C.N.R. through Lyalta and Ardenode, quickly halted the growth of Cheadle.
At one time grain was hauled to Cheadle from Carseland. The transport teams ate and rested in Cheadle before returning. This all brought much of the business to Cheadle and raised the total number of grain elevators to 3. In 1971 Cheadle's Post Office and Grocery store closed. It was purchased by Fritz Gosteli, who transformed the building into a two-story residence. There were two main businesses at that time; Risdon's Tomato Enterprise and Ken Hendry's Manufacturing, which was built two years prior. There were only a few residents at that time: Ken & Leona Hendry, Leon & Kay Risdon and family, Tommy Kildea, Doug & Kathy Davies and family, Fritz & Christine Gosteli and family, Mr. & Mrs. H. V. Iles, Dietrich & Regina Volkmann. Between Cheadle and Highway 1 there was Ken and Bev Jones and family, Mr. & Mrs. M. Landru and family, and Mr. & Mrs. H. McElroy and family, and Mr. & Mrs. E. A. Cobb.
By 1985, Cheadle lost the last of its grain elevators as well as train and tracks that ran past. Many more houses were built and residents slowly migrated into the community. Shortly after the year 2000, residential home development expanded in Central Cheadle while some later developments followed on the East side after 2005. There has been a recent surge of Calgary & Strathmore residents, moving to the rural communities in the area. This growing trend will likely cause Cheadle's population to expand over the next few years. Residential lots, for new home construction, are currently available in Cheadle (East Cheadle along Cousins Street as well as West Cheadle, on the South side Railway Avenue).
Industry and Employment
No major developments as of yet.
School Buses transfer students from Cheadle to nearby Strathmore
, which has three elementary schools (Wheatland, Westmount, and Brentwood), one junior high school (Crowther Memorial Junior High School), one high school (Strathmore High School) and a Catholic School that runs from K-6 (Sacred Heart Academy) as well as a 7-12 catholic school (Holy Cross Collegiate).
The Cheadle community has access to High Speed internet though it is not a traditional Cable or ADSL connection. It comes through a special high-speed wireless service provided area through Community Networks. No existing Cable TV provider currently services the Cheadle however basic 4 channel UHF
antenna television is available. Many residents usually access their standard television or HDTV through satellite. Telephone service is provided through Telus Communications
service can be utilized through the high-speed internet connection. Telus does not provide ADSL internet to Cheadle.
Regions of Cheadle
Though the Hamlet of Cheadle is small, there are 3 main areas to the community. East Cheadle, Central Cheadle, and a future development planned for the far West side. Many of Cheadle's residents can be found in around Central Cheadle. The community board and mail boxes can also be found here at Railway Avenue & Styl Street. Cheadle's Park and Skating Rink are also located in this area at the west end of Hendry Avenue. East Cheadle is the least populated area but has seen more growth in recent years. The Cheadle Community Hall is also located in East Cheadle on the corner of Malone Ave and Cousins Street.
The Cheadle Airport CFQ4 is located Northwest of Cheadle. This is a turf airstrip run by G. Jackson.
The Cheadle community association was first established in 1902 and still exists today to plan and coordinate the many activities and developments within the community. The Cheadle Hall is also directly managed by the association.
The association's committee typically consists of a group of elected officers and directors which is designated on an annual basis.
- President - James Gosteli
- Vice-President - Barry Calhoun
- Treasurer - Bev Stevenson
- Secretary - Leah Mathieson
- Catering Coordinator - Joanne Teunissen
- Reporters - Marg Richardson and Jim Jones
- Fritz Gosteli
- Arnold Teunissen
- Wayne Akister
- Mike Satink
- Marty Reed - Lions Club Liaison
- Berniece Bland - Councilor Div4 - Wheatland County
Cheadle is currently entering a phase of substantial expansion. A new development on Cheadle's west side, called "Green Haven Estates", will add an additional 50 houses to the community. New road construction will link Township Road 240 (Cheadle Drive / 50th Ave SE - Calgary) to highway 24 along with two new streets off of Cheadle Drive (Cheadle Bay & Cheadle Cove). This development will also feature a large central pond to add to the scenery of the location. The West side development is currently at a standstill due to some financial and planning matters involved in developing the marsh area. Higher elevation lots are available in East Cheadle along Cousin's street, just North of the Cheadle Community Hall. These East Cheadle lots are adjacent to a small water stream fed by local marshes and natural water springs in the immediate area.