In 2000, WMUH was named one of the top 20 college radio stations by The Princeton Review. That same year, WMUH was named the best radio station in the Lehigh Valley (including commercial stations) by the Lehigh Valley Music Awards Association.
The station began broadcasting in 1950 at 640 AM, but could only be heard on the Muhlenberg campus. This continued until 1964, when Muhlenberg received an FCC broadcast license for an FM station on 89.7. However, WMUH's reach was still primarily the Muhlenberg campus.
This changed in 1979, when WMUH received a power increase of 440 watts, moved over to 91.7 FM, and could be heard throughout the Lehigh Valley.
In 1982, WMUH began broadcasting for the first time at 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This was primarily accomplished with community volunteers and recently-graduated ex-WMUH disc jockeys covering the overnights from 2AM - 6AM.
It was also in the early 80's that the WMUH slogan of "the only station that matters" was originated. It is still in use to this day, and was a take-off on the phrase, "the only band that matters," which was used in England to describe The Clash during that period.