Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center
, otherwise known as Von Steuben High School
, is a high school
. Located on the north branch of the Chicago River, Von Steuben offers a strong curriculum in math and science courses and, though admission is not based on test scores or a separate application, consistently ranks at or near the top in test scores, graduation rate, and college matriculation versus other Chicago public high schools. It has one of the strongest Advanced Placement
programs in Illinois.
The school is named for Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben.
Von Steuben has been named an Outstanding American High School by US News and World Report in 1999 and named to Newsweek Magazine's America's best High Schools list in 2003.
- Soccer (boys)
- Swimming (girls)
- Tennis (girls)
- Volleyball (girls
- Cross-Country (boys, girls)
- Basketball (boys, girls)
- Swimming (boys)
- Football (boys)
- Baseball (boys)
- Softball (girls)
- Soccer (boys, girls)
- Tennis (boys)
- Volleyball (boys)
- Water Polo (boys, girls)
- Track & Field (boys, girls)
While extensive discussion has been heard on the matter, a football team has never been present at the school, most likely due to lack of funding.
In the 2002-2003 the boys sophomore basketball team won the Chicago class AA city title
- School Newspaper: Xpression.
- Literary Magazine: Orpheus. Published once a year.
- Yearbook: Visions. Published once a year.
- Rosalyn Bryant, 1976 Olympic sprinter
- Lynn Sweet, Chicago Sun Times National Washington DC Bureau Chief.
- Howie Carl, Star Basketball player,played for Rey Meyer at DePaul University.Played pro basketball for the NBA Chicago Packers.
- Les Grobstein, Sportscaster at WLS,WLUP,WSCR,WMVP Radio,Play by Play Voice of UIC,Northwestern University Basketball,Chicago Sky and more.
Class of 1996 Reunion information