Vitsa (Greek: Βίτσα) is one of the largest villages of central Zagori. During historic times, Zagori was inhabited by the Molossians based on excavations in Vitsa containing the remains of a Neolithic settlement of Molossoi dated to the 9th until the 4th century BC. The establishment of the village of Vitsa is referred to in other documents from 1321 to 1361. Some buildings from Byzantine times are still preserved. Vitsa is situated on a mountain slope with roads linking to GR-6/Via Egnatia. Vitsa is also famous for its old bridge. The hills are to the north and northeast while taller mountains of Zagori are further apart from Vitsa. Much of the areas are forested and also grassy. Farmlands are in low-lying areas around Vitsa.
, when the Ottomans
, Vitsa and other Zagori villages formed a self-governed federation. The privileges which were granted to the federation of Zagori and which are due, in the biggest part, to the influence of rich Zagorians over the court of the Sultan, were preserved until 1868
. According to these privileges, Zagori was autonomous and self-governed under the surveillance of Vekili of Zagori
. Another important privilege that the Zagorians had was the freedom to practise their religious duties. Thanks to the intelligence and the political power of many Zagorian patriots who had administrative posts at the Sublime Porte
,these privileges were increased and improved. The autonomy, the self-government, and the fact that they were not being subjected, helped the inhabitants reach an enviable standard of living. Vitsa (Vezitsa during the Byzantine times) became a cultural center for the Zagori region and was the birth place of many important people such as the Sarros
family (politicians and engineers at the Suez canal) and Nikolaidis
(man of literature).
|| Change |
|| - |
|| 13 or -9.29% |
|| -19 or -12.18% |