He is a representant of the 14th century school of painting in Bologna, where he was most active and painted the polyptych in the church of San Salvatore and frescoes in Santa Maria dei Servi. He was also active in Pomposa and Udine.
His masterwork is the panel with St. George and the Dragon in the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna. Also notable is the Madonna dei denti ("Madonna of the Teeth", 1345).
Also attributed to him is the Presepe fresco from the church of Sant'Apollonia di Mezzaretta, now in the Pinacoteca Nazionale of Bologna, considered a mainstay of the evolution of the Emilian (Bolognese School (painting) school of art]].