Visual Paradigm for UML is a UML CASE Tool supporting UML 2.1 and the Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN). In addition to UML modeling support, it provides business process modeling, an object-relational mapping generator for Java, .NET and PHP. There is a free Community Edition for non-commercial use (without generation of code and database tables).
Visual Paradigm for UML supports 13 UML diagrams. UML diagrams supported are:
Business Process Modeling
Visual Paradigm for UML Enterprise Edition supports the latest version of BPMN
. There are two Business Process Modeling Diagrams: Business Process Diagram
(BPD) and Data Flow Diagram
(DFD). BPD shows the design for modeling business activity within and between organizations. The BPMN
is a simple yet powerful notation for modeling workflows.
The DFD is another important tool for the business analyst to model data and document flow in the real world or in an IT system.
There are two kinds of data modeling diagrams, the Entity Relationship Diagram
(ERD) and the Object Relational Mapping
Diagram (ORM Diagram). The ERD is used to model the relational database at the physical level. The ORM Diagram shows the mapping between class
. The ORM Diagram is a tool to show the mapping between the class
world and the entities
in the relational database
VP UML Professional can generate code from a class model, and also the relational database
structure (tables or schemata) suited to persistently hold the data contained in so-called entity
classes. VP UML allows for different starting points:
- reverse engineer the ERD from an existing database, and generate matching code classes
- start with a class model, generate an ERD, database tables and code from it
- start with an ERD, generate a class model, database tables and code from it.
The generated code comprises:
- the classes themselves for objects modeled in class diagrams
- controller classes providing reading, writing, and deleting functions for database entries
- the latter follow one of several patterns: DAO, Factory class, or static methods
- example code for generating data in the DB, reading and deleting it
- (optionally) JavaServer Pages/ASP .NET pages for the entities modeled
VP UML can reverse engineer 9x, C++, Java, IDL, PHP and Python source code, XML and XML schema files, databases (with JDBC), and .NET .exe and .dll files.
The Community-Edition version is free for non-commercial use, but limits on the number of diagrams per project and embeds a watermark on printed diagrams.