is an administrative district of Tamil Nadu state
in southern India
is the district headquarters.
It had a population of 1,751,301 as of 2001. It is 44.39% urbanised. The district has a literacy of 74.23%, just below the state average.
The district is bounded by Tirunelveli District to the southwest, Kerala state to the west, and Theni district to the northwest.
Virudhunagar is famous for oil and cotton industry. Sivakasi, 20 km from Virudhunagar, is famous for its fireworks and printing presses.
Aruppukottai is famous for spinning mills (ramalinga groups ,jayavilas groups).
The district comprises eight taluks: Aruppukkottai, Kariapatti, Rajapalayam, Sattur, Sivakasi, Srivilliputhur, Tiruchuli and Virudhunagar.
There are six engineering colleges and one deemed university in Virudhunagar District:
- Kalasalingam University
- Kamaraj College of Engineering and Technology (KCET)
- Mepco Schlenk Engineering College (MSEC)
- P.S.R Engineering College
- Sethu Institute of Technology
- Sree Sowdambika College of Engineering
- V.P.Muthaiah Pillai Meenakshi Engineering College for Women