This is a list of Sir Richard Branson
's business ventures from the 1960s to today.
- 1968 - Branson publishes the first issue of Student Magazine. This is his first business venture.
- 1980 - Virgin Records goes international
- 1983 - Virgin Vision, later to become Virgin Communications, is formed to distribute films and videos in the television and broadcasting sector.
- 1983 - Virgin Games is launched.
- 1984 - Virgin Atlantic Airways and Virgin cargo are launched.
- 1984 - Virgin Vision (launched the previous year) launches "Music Box", a 24-hour satellite music station.
- 1985 - Virgin Group now includes record labels, retail outlets, exported music publishing, broadcasting, satellite television, and film and video distribution.
- 1985 - Branson starts Virgin Holidays
- 1987 - Branson takes Virgin Records to the states
- 1987 - The Virgin Group, along with Granada, Anglia and Pearson, founds BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) and receives a UK license to broadcast five new TV channels by satellite in the UK.
- 1987 - Virgin sets up 525, a post production facility in Los Angeles, to work on high-end commercials and pop videos.
- 1987 - Virgin sets up "Music Box" as an independent producer of music programmes.
- 1987 - Virgin buys a 45% stake in Mastertronic Group. Later Virgin Mastertronic becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Virgin Group, creating, marketing and distributing computer games software and Sega consoles in several European countries.
- 1987 - Virgin buys Rushes Postproduction in London.
- 1987 - Virgin launches Virgin Airship & Balloon Company.
- 1988 - Virgin opens Olympic Recording Studios in Barnes, London, one of the most modern studio complexes in Europe.
- 1988 - Virgin launches Virgin Classics, another Virgin international record label specializing in high-quality classical music.
- 1988 - Virgin sells some of its smaller UK retail stores and puts more money into Virgin Megastores, opening new stores both in the UK and abroad.
- 1988 - Virgin sets up Virgin Broadcasting.
- 1988 - Virgin Hotels is created, combining three properties: the Norton House Hotel in Edinburgh, the Crathorn Hall hotel in North Yorkshire, and the Rhinefield House Hotel in Hampshire.
- 1988 - Virgin sells its shareholding in BSB.
- 1990 - Virgin Megastores arrives in Japan
- 1991 - Virgin Publishing (Virgin Books) is formed
- 1992 - Virgin Records is sold to Thorn EMI
- 1993 - Virgin Radio hits the airwaves with Virgin 1215AM
- 1994 - Launch of Virgin Vodka and Virgin Cola
- 1995 - Virgin Direct Personal Financial Services opens for business
- 1995 - Virgin Express a European low cost Airline is launched in Brussels after the purchase and rebranding of EBA Express
- 1996 - V2 Music is created
- 1996 - Virgin.Net launches
- 1996 - Virgin Brides launches
- 1996 - Virgin Trains is launched
- 1996 - Virgin Group becomes majority shareholders in London Broncos rugby league team
- 1997 - Virgin Radio is acquired by Chris Evans
- 1997 - Virgin Cosmetics launches
- 1999 - Virgin Active Launches in South Africa, UK and Italy
- 1999 - Virgin Mobile launches Virgin's first telecoms venture
- 1999 - Majority shareholders in London Broncos is sold to David Hughes