The Virgil C. Summer nuclear power station occupies a site near Jenkinsville, South Carolina in Fairfield County, South Carolina. The site includes the decommissioned experimental Carolinas-Virginia Tube Reactor (CVTR) unit, just outside the site of the old town of Parr, SC. The CVTR was a 17 MWe, heavy water reactor. The Monticello reservoir (not to be confused with the Monticello Nuclear Generating Station in Minnesota) provides cooling water and feeds a pumped storage unit.
In 2001, the Summer unit operated at 79.9 percent of capacity, producing 6.76 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity.
About two-thirds (66.7 percent) of the Summer plant is owned by its operator, the South Carolina Electric & Gas Company (SCE&G, a subsidiary of the SCANA corporation). The remaining 33.3 percent is owned by the South Carolina Public Service Authority (Santee Cooper).
On May 27, 2008 SCE&G and Santee Cooper announced an EPC contract had been reached with Westinghouse to build two new AP1000 nuclear units at the site. Costs are estimated to be approximately $9.8 billion for both AP1000 units, plus transmission facility and financing costs. The operators are filing an application to increase customers bills by $1.2 billion (2.5%) during the construction period to partially finance capital costs.