A village sign in some areas of England is a symbol of a village's history, heritage, or culture. They differ from regular road signs in that they are decorative, with the designs usually depicting some aspect of the history of the village. Sometimes made of cast iron or carved in wood, the designs are often made by the local community.
In 1929 Harry Carter, an art and woodwork master at Hamonds Grammar School (which now serves as the sixth form buildings for Hamond's high school in Swaffham), carved a sign for his home town. When he died in 1983 he had carved over 200 town and village signs.
While the practice is now widespread, decorative village signs are still most common in Norfolk and in the neighbouring county of Suffolk. Some village signs are actually sculptures like the one at Capel St.Andrew, in Suffolk, which is constucted from scrap metal.