Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI) (established 1887) is one of India's premier engineering and technical institutes, located in Mumbai, India and attracts top talent. Until 26th January 1997 it was known as the Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute.
VJTI, is a part of the University of Mumbai and its degrees are issued by the University, but the institution is no longer under the administrative purview of the university, since being granted autonomy in July, 2004.
VJTI was ranked 7th best in the country
, among private engineering colleges, in a Mint C-Fore Survey in 2008.
VJTI was ranked 8th best in the country , among private engineering colleges, in an Outlook magazine survey in 2007.
VJTI was ranked 9th best in the country , among all engineering colleges, in an India Today survey in 1999.
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute [V.J.T.I.], a premiere Institute of
Maharashtra, was established by Dinshaw Manockjee Petit Trust in 1887 and was
then named as Victoria Jubilee Technological Institute. In 1913, the Institute was
declared as Central Technological Institute of the State. Since 1923 the Institute is
located in the present premises at Matunga, Mumbai. The Institute is affiliated to the
University of Mumbai.
The Institute started with the Licentiate Diploma in Textile Technology and under the
guidance of various visionaries, over a period of 120 years it has developed to the
current status which houses about 3500 students in the campus pursuing their B.Tech.,
M.Tech., Ph.D. degrees and different diplomas and Post graduate Diplomas. It was
awarded the autonomous status in June 2004.
After being awarded autonomous status,VJTI now has a board of governors comprising of following people:
VJTI Board Of Governors
- Nusli Wadia. (Chairman). Chairman, Bombay Dyeing Ltd.
- Anil Kakodkar. Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission of India
- Ashok R. Joshi. Director, Indian Institute of Cost & Management Studies & Research
- A. P. Kudchadkar. Director, Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- Ashok Misra. Director, Indian Institute of Technology
- Jamshedji Irani. Director, Tata Sons Ltd.
- Dinshaw Petit. Nominee of The Framji Dinshaw, N. M. Petit Memorial Fund
- Joyce Shankaran. Principal Secretary, Higher and Technical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
- N. B. Pasalkar. Director of Technical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
- Renuka Ramnath. CEO/MD ICICI Venture Funds Management
- Anand Mahindra. Vice-Chairman & MD, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
- Ranjit Pandit. Managing Director, McKinsey & Co.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Technology (offers courses in Computer Engineering and Information Technology)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Humanities and Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Technical and Applied Chemistry
- Textile Manufacturing
- Master of Computer Applications
The Institute has seven engineering departments; Civil & Environmental Engineering,
Computer Technology, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Textile
Manufactures, Production Engineering and Structural Engineering. It also has three
supporting departments; Mathematics, Technical & Applied Chemistry, Physics and
Humanities & Management. All the departments are equipped with modern laboratories. These facilities are
made available to the students and also to the industry for testing.
Curricula of all the under graduate and post graduate degree programs are regularly
updated to include current trends and industry needs.
Many experts from industry and other academic institutes deliver seminars on special
topics and latest developments for the VJTI students and faculty.
- Mechanical Engineering Department
The Mechanical Engineering department and workshops are housed in the extensions
outflanking the main institute on the north and was established in 1946. The department has facilities in
Metallurgy, Dynamics, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, Automobile, Heat
Engines, Robotics and Automation, CAD/CAM/CAE, Mechanical Measurement s and
Fluid Mechanics and Workshops in Machine, Smithy, Carpentry, Filing and Welding.
All laboratories have testing facilities. The department also provides certification for
several activities on behalf of the government.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department
The Electrical Engineering department is situated in the south wing and an extension
building is constructed in the rear and was established in 1947. The Siemens High Voltage laboratory is accommodated in a
special block in the south wing. The electrical workshop is housed in the extension
building. The department has 14 laboratories with ultra modern equipments such as
Digital Signal Processing, Microprocessor, Communications, Bio-medical, Electrical Motors and Drives and Instrumentation. These
laboratories have testing facilities such as high voltage testing of induction motors,
transformers, insulation resistance of compounds, impulse testing up to 500KV and
power frequency testing as per I.S. norms.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
The Civil and Environmental Engineering department is situated in the extension of
the main building on the first floor. The department has facilities in Environmental
Engineering, Air-Pollution and Noise Pollution, Bio-assay, Transportation and
Highway Engineering, Land Survey, Geology and Plumbing. All the laboratories
are equipped with modern equipment and testing facilities. The department has started
a post-graduate course in Construction Management in addition to the postgraduate
- Production Engineering Department
The office, staff-rooms and class-rooms are on the second floor of the Mechanical
Engineering block. The laboratories are on the ground and the mezzanine floors. The
department (earlier named as Industrial Engineering Department) was set-up in 1959.
Four year degree course in Production Engineering was started in 1973. The
department has four well-equipped laboratories viz. Process laboratory, Metrology
laboratory, Work-study laboratory and Computer laboratory.
- Computer Technology Department
The department situated at the Southern wing mainly on the first floor was formed in
1985. The computer center was established in 1976 in collaboration with the National
Centre for Software Development and Computing Techniques located in the Tata
Institute of Fundamental Research. It is housed near the Institute's quadrangle. A
course in Computer Applications was started in 1984, Master’s course in 1985 and a
Bachelor’s course in 1986. The computer center has a facility with over 150
PCs and workstations for software development in several areas.
- Textile Manufactures Department
The Textile Manufactures Department is housed in a large north-light steel trusted
roof building. The textile department is one of the two departments started at VJTI
when it was first established in 1887. The department is spacious and has modern
spinning, weaving and non-woven machinery in its workshops and modern testing
equipments in its laboratories. The department has carried out a number of Industrial
consultancy projects including geo-textile project for paved and unpaved roads,
sponsored by Department of Science & Technology, Government of India.
- Currently VJTI admits students for undergraduate programs based on their scores in the common entrance test (CET) conducted by the Government of Maharashtra.
- Admissions for postgraduate programs are through GATE or sponsorship.
- MCA admissions are based on the scores in the MCA-CET.
- Diploma admissions are based on marks obtained in the class 10 examination.
- Renuka Ramnath - Managing Director, ICICI Venture, India
- Amit Chandra - Former Managing Director, DSP Merrill Lynch Limited, India
- Keval Desai - Director, Product Management, Google Inc., USA
- Chari, Ram (Ramabhadran) Srinivas - Program Manager, Marketing Systems, US Postal Service - USPS. Washington, DC., USA
- Bhatia, Narendra (Naren) Kumar - (Retd.) Vice President of Engineering & Construction, CMS Energy, Michigan, USA
- Salgaonkar Jagdish B - Vice President, CH2M HILL Inc., USA
- Avtar Saini - Vice President Asia Operations, Topspin Communications, Inc. Former Director for South Asia, Intel
- Jayant Patil - Minister of Finance, Government of Maharashtra
- Dr. Anil Kakodkar - Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission, Government of India
- Chaggan Bhujbal - Minister of Public Works Department, Government of Maharashtra
- Gopal H. Gaonkar
- Sridharan, R. - Senior Staff, Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - MIT, USA
- Dr. Amit Deokar - Assistant Professor of Information Systems, Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota, USA
- Iyer, Mani (formerly P.S. Mani) - Director, Office of Intellectual Property, Louisiana State University
- Dr. Gajanan M. Sabnis - Professor of Civil Eng at Howard University, USA
- Dalal, Vikram - Director, Microelectronics Research Centre and Thomas Whitney Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa ,USA
- Poras Balsara - Associate Department Chair for Graduate Affairs and Director, Center for Integrated Circuits and Systems, University of Texas, Dallas, USA
- Kotak, Dilip - Group Leader, Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation, National Research Council, Canada
- Gupchup Vijay - Former Principal & Secretary, VJTI ,Former Pro Vice Chancellor of the University of Bombay, Ex Chairman of the Research Council of the Structural Engg. Research Centre in Chennai & EX Chairman of the National Board of Accreditation of the AICTE, New Delhi
- V.B.Nikam - Assistant Professor & Head of Department, Department of Information Technology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University(DBATU),Lonere India
- Gandhi, Kirti A. - Gandhi Engineering, Inc. New York, USA.
- Govind RamMurthy - CEO, Microworld Technologies, USA and India
- Suhrud Dagli - Co Founder, RiskSpan Inc., USA
- Pervez Bharucha, CTO Silicon Interfaces Pvt Ltd,India
Location of the Institute
The Institute is situated well within the heart of the city of Mumbai near the Five
Garden area and King’s Circle. On the western line, the institute lies closest to Dadar Station, on the Central Line, to Matunga Station (Central) and on the Harbour Line, both Wadala and Kings Circle Station lie in a radius of 1 km.
VJTI gives company to other academic Institutes in
the vicinity namely, Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology, Centre for
Industrial Research Cotton Technology (CIRCOT), Don Bosco school and Khalsa
- Enthusia - Sports festival
- Pratibimb - Cultural festival
- Chetna - College Hostel festival
- Technovanza - Technical festival
- Janeev - Service to society
The college magazine is called Nirmaan.