Vasundhara Raje is the Chief Minister of Rajasthan state of India since December 2003. She is the first woman Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
Vasundhara Raje was born on March 8 1953
.She is daughter of Rajmata Vijayraje Scindia
and Jivaji Rao Scindia
.She completed her school education from Presentation Convent, Kodaikanal
. Thereafter, she graduated in Economics
and Political Science
(Hons.) from Sophia College, Mumbai University
, She married former Maharajah
, Hemant Singh, on 17 November 1972
Vasundhara Raje was initiated into politics by her mother in 1984
. She held a variety of posts in the BJP
and was elected to the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly
. From 1989 onwards she won four consecutive elections to the Lok Sabha
, Rajasthan. She held a variety of posts in the Vajpayee
cabinets, the most prominent being the Minister of State for External Affairs.
In 2003, she shot to prominence by leading the BJP to its biggest victory in the state elections in Rajasthan; where she represents the Jhalrapatan seat. Her son Dushyant Singh was elected to the Lok Sabha from her former constituency.
In 2007, she was awarded "Women Together Award", by the UNO, for efforts to assist women in self-empowerment.
In 2008, her government is facing a tough challenge in handling the 2008 caste violence in Rajasthan.
- 1985-90 Member, 8th Rajasthan Legislative Assembly
- 2003 onwards Member, 12th Rajasthan Legislative Assembly from Jhalrapatan
- 1985-87 : Vice-President, Yuva Morcha B.J.P., Rajasthan
- 1984 : Member, National Executive, Bharatiya Janata Party (B.J.P.)
- 1987 : Vice-President, B.J.P., Rajasthan
- 1990-91 : Member, Library Committee, Member, Consultative Committee, Ministries of Commerce and Tourism
- 1991-96 : Member, Consultative Committees, Ministries of Power, Science and Technology, Environment and Tourism1996-97 Member, Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests, Member, Consultative Committees, Ministries of Power, Science and Technology and Tourism
- 1997-1998 : Joint Secretary, B.J.P. Parliamentary Party
- 1998-99 : Union Minister of State, External Affairs
- 13 Oct. 1999-31 Aug.. 2001: Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Small Scale Industries and Agro & Rural Industries; Department of Personnel and Training; Department of Pensions and Pensioners’ Welfare in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions; Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Space
- 1 Sept. 2001-1 Nov. 2001: Union Minister of State, Small Scale Industries; Personnel, Training, Pensions, Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances; Department of Atomic Energy; and Department of Space (Independent Charge)2 Nov. 2001-
- 29 Jan. 2003: Union Minister of State, Small Scale Industries; Personnel, Training, Pensions, Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances; Planning; Department of Atomic Energy; and Department of Space (Independent Charge)14 Nov. 2002 -
- 14 Dec. 2003: President, B.J.P., Rajasthan
- 8 Dec, 2003: Chief Minister, Rajasthan